Olympus PEN dSLR is Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
The new interchangeable lens micro 4/3 dSLR camera is here. Iti s a beauty, as small as a Canon A series with a large sensor and interchangeable lenses, no prism, live view only.

N

Oh it's not dSLR, no mirror as you know.
Olympus says, Not a compact. Not an SLR. It's a PEN.
I say, very compact, SLR photo quality. It's a Camera i want.
It becomes popular even among the Canon and Nikon users in Japan.
Now the body is priced at 84,800-89,800yen. The kit with 14-42mm lens 89,800-99,800yen in Japan.

I want to dive with this camera and Panasonic 7-14mm wide lens. It must be a very compact system.
Olympus maybe does not sell the housing. So I will make it when the PRICE IS DOWN in the future.

Many photos of E-P1 at this site. It is very compact compared with E-410.

I think the optional low profile strobe, interchangeable lenses, hot shoe with true TTL, optical or wired link, large sensor, large live view, small footprint could make this the Nikonos III replacement I have waited so long for.

Unlike others, I think this particular combination of features and execution is not only retro but perfect for underwater adaptation.

Somebody somewhere was going on about it not having a UW setting and therefore Oly et al would not offer a housing---do dSLRs have an UW setting?--I don't think so. Most use a manual or auto program white balance program. This is NOT--NOT---a Point and Shoot, this is essentially a live view dSLR minus the reflex mirror system.

I suspect that since several cameras now utilize this up coming format that there will soon be a suitable ultrawide/fisheye zoom which will them make this a real prospect for UW photography.

N

How perfect is this for a mid range UW system to stick in your dive bag. I agree this could be the alt to a Nikonos and with 2 lenses you are set.

Somebody must make a housing for this little beauty.

BTW isnt it great that it looks just like a pen and the white would do me nicely but not perfect for UW photography.

Hey Andrew when can we get one ????

:DSCUBATOO:D

This thing will be the bomb when they have like a 8mm pancake fisheye or a 6-18 fisheye zoom like the Tokina for the full size dSLR. Then we a compact aluminum housing, mini dome port, this could be a rig as small as my 570 rig and as easily transported yet have the photo potential of a dSLR or very close, wider dynamic range, true TTL, wow is all I can say.

N

Olympus told me that they have no plans for a UW housing for it. ;-(

Jack

Good, then that is all the more reason for others such as Ikelite, Patima, Fisheye etc. to make a housing. The OEM housings are generally sub par anyways. Neither Nikon or Canon provide housings for their dSLRs but that does not seem to stop you guys from taking them underwater--why should this be any different. This is not a P&S, this camera is essentially a live view dSLR with large sensor and multiple lens options to be available. Maybe Sea and Sea or similar will jump in and make a nice housing for this camera. Once live view is available nobody is going to try and use a stupid reflex viewfinder underwater anyways.

N

Last edited:
Very cool - it's about freakin' time!!

What's next - a compact DSLR that has all the properties of the "TOUGH" Series? Now that would be sweet!

A SnS RDX would be just great for this little beauty. This could be the answer for all those UW photographers who want to take good pictures but dont want a pro set up cost or a pro system weight.

If someone gets this camera properly set up then it could sell in the thousands and become the default UW set up that the G9 and G10 has not been. This is providing of course that the housing manufacturer doesnt want $1500 for the housing and another $500 for the port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom