How to use doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use salvo SR2/SRX for my 1st/2nd combo. I really like the LP hose on the bottom for clean hose routing. The scubapro mk25 (along with others) has this feature as well.

Apeks now have the same feature.

If you plan on getting into Tech. diving someday, then the sooner you become proficient with doubles, the better. (providing yoou can physically handle a set of doubles) There are some who first learned to dive doubles during Tech Class. Some didn't fare so well. Previous experience with the new setup would've made the class more beneficial.

Now, an instructor or good mentor can judge your current diving abilities first to see if you are ready for doubles. You already dive dry, and for some , even that was difficult to become proficient at. Who know's how good you are at diving until they spend time diving with you in different conditions.

Find someone worthy of judging your diving first. Then stick with him for some time while you adapt to the doubles. As long as you don't exceed your training, you should be alright for the most part.

Last edited:
Look.... You only have what I would consider minimal dives in as far as diving experience. and your only 14. I know it,s cool to see all those "tec divers" strapping on their doubles and jumping in the water, but what you don't realize is all the training ,practice, and preparing that goes along with this type of equipment (cost concerns also) age considerations not with standing (that alone will exclude you from most if not all training organizations) you need to get many more dives under your belt to become comfortable enough to make such a transition (My TDI instructor required that I had to have at least 300 LOGGED DIVES just to start my classes) You have your Whole life ahead of you, my advice to you is to take small steps... be come as proficient as possible with singles, buoyancy and skills ,seek out the best instructors when you have the experience and most of all concentrate on having fun with the equipment you have been using. Doubles don't make the diver, the diver (and his or her skills) make the diver. I'm sure you will make a terrific tec diver some day. I encourage you to pursue this goal but to be safe also. Good luck,

Chris - SSI. Instructor-

No offense here, but doubles can get you in trouble fast. You're adding concerns for redundant buoyancy, adding failure points (although they also provide more methods to deal with failures), and making it where you can get very far into deco. Online is not the place to learn this, more experience and a mentor/instructor would be a very wise idea.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. My first dive in doubles almost got me into a whole heap of trouble. I had over 150 dives at the time. I was diving with a couple of newer technical divers (mistake #1). We had planned to do a deep dive at our local quarry- I had done this deep dive many times before on singles (mistake #2). I had no idea as to the negative buoyancy of my doubles (LP 85's). I let all the air out of my wings (mistake #3). Long story short, I wound up at the bottom of the quarry at 100ft in less than 1 minute. I was very fortunate that the worst I suffered was a bad case of squeeze from my drysuit (I didn't have time to inflate it much, on the way down) It scared the hell out of me. Even in a state of near panic, I was able to make a slow ascent back to the surface. As I surfaced, my technical instructor was there & promptly chewed my behind a bit (much deserved) for planning such a dive when I was a novice at using doubles. It was a very good lesson learned. I spent the that summer diving the doubles in the shallows, getting used to handling them, & then that fall, after I started becoming comfortable with them, I started taking them deep. Small steps at a time. As the others have stated, don't be in a hurry & learn under the watchful eye of an experienced technical instructor. Master your skills in the single tank & then with an instructor, procede step by step to doubles.

How long has it been out? What's it called? Where can I see one?

They've added it as an option on the DST first stage. You can get existing DST's retrofitted.

Apeks Products

Equipment needed for doubles:
Doubles setup with din and isolator valve
backplate and bladder for doubles - I dive wet so I use a 55 lb dual bladder oxycheq wing
two first stage regulators, din configuration
on the left first stage you need an spg on a high pressure 24" hose, an inflator hose and a short hose attached to your secondary second stage regulator which will be on a necklace around your neck. On your right first stage you will typically want a long (5-7') hose attached to the primary second stage regulator and optionally another inflator hose if you are using a double bladder wing. Also, you will want stiff fins to propel you through the water, so no splits.

I would STRONGLY suggest adequate training. Doubles will allow you to accumulate significant decompression obligations so gas management is critical. Additionally the equipment configuration is quite different from singles and the task loading is higher.

Regarding your age, I know that it is likely that you will have to wait till you are 18 for technical classes due to liability concerns. Unlike recreational diving, there is a mentality of "you knew what you were getting yourself into and its your butt if you screw up." That is not to say that the buddy system is not critical, but the mentality is different. People on this board understand the difference, you may understand the difference, but try telling that to your parents or a jury when you are dead or incapacitated due to type 2 DCS.

I hope you have a long and successful diving life. Remember there is a lot that you can do now such as additional dives and diving with a bp/w before you ever get into technical diving. Good luck.

Doubles don't make the diver, the diver (and his or her skills) make the diver. I'm sure you will make a terrific tec diver some day. I encourage you to pursue this goal but to be safe also. Good luck,

Exactly. Cool gear does not make you a good diver, training and experience does.

If, and I stress if you have an instructor willing to spend the time training you, take advantage of it. But also listen to them when it comes to gear selection and more importantly, when to start buying it.

A good instructor will spend a significant amount of time diving with you to insure you are ready for more. If they don't, find a new instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom