Best bottom timer/computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I will be taking fundies soon and I was wondering about my computer. I currently have a galileo sol and now feel that I simply don't need that much of a computer especially since I'm supposed to be going to gauge mode. The instructor who will be putting me through fundies says that he uses one too and I can keep it if I desire. My biggest gripe with the Galileo is that I can't bungee it without drilling it.

I'd like to know what other GUE/DIR people use and feel is an appropriate computer to replace the Galileo.

On a separate note, I'm having a helluva time reclipping my spg from my side D-Ring. Any tips?

The good ol' Uwatec is great. Pretty cheap, too. However, the new Hollis one looks real awesome! While bungees are in vogue right now, straps work just fine.

The secret to clipping is to get in the water and practice. Some clip it forward, some clip is backward. Figure out what works easiest for you with the hip d-ring. I personally clip it with the gate to the rear, but it just takes time to get used to.

I use a Vytec in gauge mode, which is nice because it gives you seconds as well as minutes on the display. Because I'm still not quite 100% DIR, I use a VR3 as my backup - which is nice because it gives average depth for when my brain is too overworked to work it out myself (it's not that big a brain, y'see).

As PfcAJ says, clipping the SPG back on to the D ring is just a matter of practice. I find that taking my hand off from the position I unclipped it from makes it harder, it becomes a semi-fumble to find the clip again. I also find that using my index finger to check the D ring is out from the harness, not flat against it, whilst using the thumb to open the clip makes it a bit easier. Others may have more pertinent advice.

On a separate note, I'm having a helluva time reclipping my spg from my side D-Ring. Any tips?

Shhhhh.....

HW1099-2T.jpg

:shocked2:

I use the Fred T equivalent of the above, and have gotten various grief about it online, but never in real life. It works for me, and I like it.

In case you can't tell, its a welded (fixed) DRing. The DRing itself is welded to the keeper, so it stays at 90* to the webbing at all times. They work well on the hip. You can also find 45* versions for the shoulder DRings, but I don't like them.

Tom

I use the Fred T equivalent of the above, and have gotten various grief about it online, but never in real life. It works for me, and I like it.

Aren't you afraid you're going to die?

:eyebrow:

I don't fear death. Death fears me!

I agree with PfcAJ.

Bungee mounts are nice, but certainly not necessary. Some computers come with wrist straps so short that they're a huge PITA to get on, but for the most part one is as good as another.

I personally clip it with the gate to the rear

Is there any other way? :D

As was mentioned, if the d-ring is laying flat, it's harder to unclip. Fortunately, you have a built-in method to make it stick out: pull out on the SPG.

I'll echo the comments in favor of the Uwatec BT and "just practice" on hip-clipping.

I would not use a fixed ring anywhere, and especially not on the hip. It is not necessary, and mostly serves to overcome a (largely perceived) difficulty with clipping off - something that just takes a little practice to get better at, not a non-standard piece of equipment. Also, you want the hip connections to "give" a little bit, and the fixed ring limits that ability. This may cause some problems when you start carrying multiple bottles.

As was mentioned, if the d-ring is laying flat, it's harder to unclip. Fortunately, you have a built-in method to make it stick out: pull out on the SPG.
Or one of your stage bottles.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom