Best bottom timer/computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any complaints about the new 330m over the older model?

Are there any complaints about the new 330m over the older model?
Not so far - it does have a much longer wrist strap to cut off. :D The boot is also a little lower profile than the older model.

Does anyone know if it's acceptable to use a larger size gate clip on the spg? I can't see the spg at all if I turn my head. Maybe my D ring is too far back on my waste...

On a separate note, I'm having a helluva time reclipping my spg from my side D-Ring. Any tips?

I had no issues with mine in warm water / no gloves but now in cold water / gloves I'm also having issues as well. Spoke with a few DIR divers and they told me my crotch strap and thigh pocket was pulling the belt down. I loosened things up last week. Now everything sits up higher then before, this made a huge difference. Also moved the clip down right to the very end.

Hope it helps!

Yeah, I can't see my spg without unclipping it. It's making me wonder if it's too far back. I still need to learn to unclip it and reclip it without thinking. I don't mean I want to cheat or anything. Even when I do unclip it though, I need to really turn my head to look at and read it. I basically have to tug it under my armpit. Keep in mind I'm diving a dry suit with thick gloves in cold water, single tank with a weighted STA... Maybe that STA has my tank sit back just far enough to make it difficult?

There's absolutely no way I would ever be able to see my SPG without unclipping it unless I clipped it to my chest D Ring. I would guess doing this regularly would also put a lot of extra strain on the cave line knot.

Medium-large (1 1/4") boltsnaps are what I see most people around here use. In warmer water, I see a mix of the 3/4" and 1 1/4" snaps on most divers. I like to be able to put a finger through the snap. Other folks like to hold the boltsnap between two fingers while they grab the hose with their hand.

Tom

I'm not sure why people feel that they should be able to "look down" to see their SPGs. That can cause problems with trim, and also with buddy and/or situational awareness. It also does not scale to other types of diving (night diving, cave diving, etc).

The preferred method for checking the SPG is to unclip it, bring it up into your field of view (while shining your light on it if necessary), and then reclipping. This keeps you in good trim, and keeps your head up so you can see your team, where you are going, etc.

Seriously, this is not that hard to do. All it takes is a little practice.

Last edited:
Medium-large (1 1/4") boltsnaps are what I see most people around here use. In warmer water, I see a mix of the 3/4" and 1 1/4" snaps on most divers. I like to be able to put a finger through the snap. Other folks like to hold the boltsnap between two fingers while they grab the hose with their hand.

Tom

I like to be able to put a finger through the snaps on my stage bottle rigs.

I tend to put my hand in a "live-long-and-prosper" position such that the spool of the SPG is sticking out from between my middle and ring fingers. I unsnap with my thumb.

Pretty sure I do just as Blackwood (except for the 'keep the gate open' part).

Seriously, this IS just an issue of practice. For the next ten dives, as you're swimming around, just unclip/reclip the SPG. I, too, thought this was a pain long ago. No longer. Practice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom