Would this be acceptable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny boy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Quick question, would this What Works, Works! Inc. - Home - Manufacturer of scuba diving lights, DLX canister lights, safety reels, dive reels, backup light kits eLED extension kit be acceptable for the GUE-fundies class to obtain a 'Tech' pass, obviously all of my other skills would have to be upto par...
My understanding is that the can light is there for task loading and coordination and the light output shouldn't make any difference?
before anyone tells me to go and ask my instructor, i don't have one yet, just trying to figure out some costs before booking courses and investing in equipment.

Cheers

It may be acceptable, but it's certainly not what you want in a "canister" light; it would just be a waste of money. If a tech pass is what you have your heart set on, why not take fundies without a can light, then when you can get a real one go for your tech pass?

Buying this POS, is just throwing money away, and it may not be the limiting factor on weather or not you get a pass.

My $.02

I can't see where the light is located on to the diver, so can't comment on that particular make.

From the GUE website a primary light is defined as "One primary light: A primary light should be minimalist in design; its power source should consist of a rechargeable battery pack residing in a canister powering an external light head via a light cord. Primary lights should produce the equivalent output of 50-watt halogen/10-watt HID lighting or greater.*"

My instructor as well as others in the UK will loan a canister light to candidates so before you buy kit which is not really what you want in the end, think about contacting an instructor and see if they also have a light you could rent or borrow.

You need a canister light to get a tech past you don't need a canister light to attend the course.

Quick question, would this eLED extension kit be acceptable for the GUE-fundies class to obtain a 'Tech' pass, obviously all of my other skills would have to be upto par...
That thing is a waste of money. It doesn't provide any real benefit over using the SL4 "as is", and adds multiple failure points on top of that. You won't ever be doing any Tech level dives with it, so whatever money you would spend on it now would be better applied toward the future purchase of a real can light, or else spent on more diving.

I agree with the other comments - either borrow or rent a can light for the class, or else take it with everything except the can light (for Rec pass) and then go back for your Tech pass when you can afford a proper light.

Last edited:
How much is it?

+1, I agree with others posters, better save the money to get a real can light.

keep in mind that when you are diving with a group is is ideal that the divers can lights be close in power. If diver "A" has a 10 watt light and Divers "B" and "C" have 21 watt. Diver "A" will be able to see his buddies communication signals but they will not be able to see him in low light, dirty water conditions.---------Most of the GUE instructors work in shops that have access to rental lights or they have a back up. Ask the instructor to advise you on how to rent one. Extream Exposure in Florida is the Home shop for many GUE instuctors and is owned by Jarod. If you call Doug the manager who is a Fundies instructor as well they might be able to ship you a rental.
In my opinion YOU HAVE TO HAVE a good can light to understand the skills in the class. The classes are not cheap to take due to most of us have to travel to them, so give your self every advantage when taking the class, dont be cheap it will cost you down the road BUT if it is going to break the bank to rent one then my advise is dont spend any money and just take a normal back up light and tie a rope to it and tie the other end to the right hip area maybe to an additional "D" ring, then attatch a bolt snap to the back of the light. The instructor will respect this method more than you wasting you money on POS My E-mail is Shawn@ireallylovescuba.com

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom