Bonne Terre Mines Treasure Hunt - 2009 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fleep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bearing the surname Packman has always been a mixed blessing. On the one hand people remember my name, but on the other hand, I have been fielding the jokes since sixth grade. Clearly I have a genetic advantage for gobbling chips (be they power pellets, potato, or poker), so I'm not sure that it was fair to allow me to participate in this event for the last couple years... But enough about my favorite topic (me!) and a little about the event:

I saw many of my local diving friends, met a bunch of cool people, exchanged barbs with my old friends on the mine staff, chatted with some cute diver girls, and won a trip to Bonaire - what a great way to spend a day. The diving was great, the post dive suds that a few of us snuck in (¡¡Don't tell Doug!!) were satiating, the barbeque was delicious, and (with the exception of NetDoc) the company was excellent. "j/k" NetDoc - Was great to meet you in person, and thanks to ScubaBoard for sponsoring this event!!!

Steve Dozier and the rest of the staff made it look easy, but I know they put a lot of hard work into making this event such a huge success - as they say on the islands, "nuff respect!" Also the attendees deserve credit for their good sportsmanship and good spirits - everyone I talked with had a blast.

Feel free to reply to this thread with your own reviews!

I leave you with the following limerick:

There once was a hunt at Bonne Terre,
Even NetDoc was there.
After finding some chips,
I bid on some trips,
And won a trip to Bonaire!

(< ---Packman--- >)

In one word I can discribe my wife and I had at the 2009 Bonne Terre Treasure Hunt & Auction- FANTASTIC. We had never been to the mine site in Bonne Terre, MO., actually we never even heard of it until I recievied a posting on the Scubaboard website. And now we are hooked. As being residance of Frankfort, Kentucky, dive sites are few and far between except for 10-15 hour drives to sites along the southern Atlantic coast or doing the Spring Dive sites in northern Florida (i.e.- Ginnie Springs). Now with a short 5.5 hour drive from our home(depending on traffic or weather) we can "Get Wet" no matter what the weather is. The air temp in the mines is a constant 62 degrees F and water temp of 58 degrees F, with visability of 100 ft. plus.
From the time we arrived until we saw the entrance to Bonne Terre Mine site in our rear view mirror with sadness on our faces we was welcomed as family. As far as I know as "Arnold says in the Terminator movies" "I'll Be Back".

Ray Nelson
Frankfort, KY

Now we know really why advanced diving requires redundancy of all possible systems - your codivers have to work twice as hard to sabatage you!

I swear I didn't know who I was bidding against! I was distracted by, ermm, something distracting in my vicinity :p

Now wait a miute Packman....:no::no:..Steve here, wasn't it you who I purposely asked to stand up so when she decided she had enough......... she knews who's butt to kick.....:laser:?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom