New Orleans Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BVickery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I will be heading to NOLA for a wedding in Feb. and are really tempted to head a day or two early to get a dive or such in. Anyone familiar with the diving in the area? We have no real preference as far as Boat or Shore.

You need to head East to get away from the Mississippi run off, I'd recommend Pensacola, FL!

Or 5+ hours on a boat in rough seas (and 5+ back) to find blue water and world class spearfishing, but I've heard the trips are not for the faint of heart......

While people do dive Lake Pontchartrain and while there is world class diving and hunting offshore to the rigs your best bet is to do what most divers in Louisiana do, go to Pensacola or Destin or Panama City.

N

While people do dive Lake Pontchartrain and while there is world class diving and hunting offshore to the rigs your best bet is to do what most divers in Louisiana do, go to Pensacola or Destin or Panama City.

N

Unless you own your own boat (I know of ZERO dive ops in the New Orleans area, and all open water courses are completed east of there as well), and care to brave the seas and go through all the hassles of driving for 3+ hours in a boat after 2+ hours towing your boat, then I would recommend, driving to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach/Pensacola/Panama City. You will find much more convenient diving, blue water, and lots of dive ops.

The only clear water here is in the bathtub. If anyone could find a way to construct a 5 acre blue hole in Lake Ponchartrain they would make a fortune.

"Blue" is the operative word, not to mention that the average depth of Lake Ponchartrain is 15 feet. Hardly worth getting wet for, but I know the Captain does it. Maybe with a metal detector and some treasure maps, it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, it is just a way to get snagged on a fish hook or tangled in someone's lost steel leaders and lures...

so it looks like it will be a dive out of Pensecola then. Thanks for the feedback all.

Although it's probably just a few minutes closer, you could consider Gulf Shores AL. There are a few good shops and charter boat ops there to choose from.

The op/site doesnt have to be in NO itself, just nearby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom