New to diving in Cajun Country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddinbr

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, I live in Cajun Country Between Baton Rouge and New Orleans on the Amite River. I fish mostly bluewater out of Venice La.

Its Kinda funny story I got certified about 10 years ago, but had a scary experience with a 13 foot Mako while Tuna Fishing. I vowed I would not get into gulf. Fastforward to present, I brought several friends out on my Twin-vee for some fishing. When we stated trolling the Rip we got into a school of Dorado. Everyone decided to freedive for some chickens. After seeing how much fun they were having I got in the water too. As usual the Bull Sharks started swarming but we stayed in the water and I am sold on spearing again.

I hope to gain as much information from yall as I can and hope to find some friends to take out and enjoy our sportmans paradise!

Todd,

Your location says Venice; that is south of NOLA. That is not between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I live in Livingston Parish, and mainly dive caves in Florida. What is your cert level?

Welcome Todd. I am in Lafayette. Nice to see you on Scubaboard.

Jim, I have a house in Maurepas and I spend the weekends at my camp in Venice. I figured most people would know Venice. Where in Livingston do you live?

For now I will only be freediving. I have not put a tank on since my ex and had our open water check out about 10 years ago. Maybe down the road.....

Jim, I have a house in Maurepas and I spend the weekends at my camp in Venice. I figured most people would know Venice. Where in Livingston do you live?

For now I will only be freediving. I have not put a tank on since my ex and had our open water check out about 10 years ago. Maybe down the road.....

I am off of 22 as well, in Springfield.

Jim, do you ever dive Lake Maurepas? I have been thinking about an afternoon trip around the sandbar to practice.

How is the diving in Lake Maurepas? I've never been there. Didn't know there were any good inland waters to dive that close to Lafayette.

At times the water is green. I have a lot of friends that shoot catfish out of the stumps. I try to go offshore fishing every weekend in Venice. I took Zac87 out that I met on this site. He brought his brother and dad and we dove several rigs. we had a blast and shot a bunch of fish as well. he has posted some pics on here somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom