June 29th Is anyone on Roatan right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

entropy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

We are due to arrive on Saturday July 4th into Roatan. Is anyone on the island right now? As interested as we are in the political situation, we are also interested in how the island is doing and flights etc.

One of us is coming on CO via Houston direct into Roatan. Some of us are coming on TACA via El Salvador direct into Roatan. (This flight is NOT stopping in San Pedro Sula and is NOT code shared with Islena)

Suggestions, comments, information???

Thanks in advance. Lydia

In the other threads on the political issues there have been numerous posts from people on Roatan or utila. Airports are open at this time. Have heard conflicting reports on TACA , maybe someone has those details.

Have heard conflicting reports on TACA , maybe someone has those details.

Islena Airlines (not TACA) had previously deviated from Honduran airports because of the political situation, but mostly because they were threatened with an un-paid tax issue with the government of Honduras.

TACA is flying normally (such as it is with TACA on a good day). If you don't want to fly into Honduras, they'll let you re-book for a short time. See TACA changes due to political issues

In the other threads on the political issues there have been numerous posts from people on Roatan or utila.

..........................................:lotsalove:

Last edited:
I am in Roatan now. Business as usual but I think the Taca airlines for domestic are not flying. If you can't make it here on Saturday, than I guess I am not going home because I am going back on that flight. I heard today that the carnival cruise ship will dock tomorrow. I can say this, there is no one on this island that supports the president and his crazy ideas. I understand he is going to be reinstated but I believe he will be a lame duck president until the elections in November. I only wish we had a lame duck president at home. Another earthquake today but most likely an aftershock. Diving has been good, very hot here. Off to dinner (bite on the beach for some curry)

.... Business as usual but I think the Taca airlines for domestic are not flying.....

ISLENA airlines was not flying for a time due to a tax issue with Honduran Government. TACA is a Salvadoran Airline, so all their flights that serve Honduras are International. The "domestic" routes that we frequent (in Honduras) are flown by Islena.

TACA, and all other airlines maintain an uninterrupted schedule, the Cruise Ships? The same.

No, was actually another one. 5.0 SE of LCE.

A 5.0 earthquake? LCE is La Ceiba which is on the Northern coast of Honduras. You felt that in Utila or did something else make the earth move? Inquiring minds want to know.

Big plans on Utila for the 4th of July? Another excuse to shoot off Honduran fireworks. :eyebrow: Have at it.

TACA is NOW ALLOWING a change of travel plans (airplane tix) without penalty. Here is the actual quote form the TACA site: Honduras [btw, Thursday should certainly bring more clarity of events in Honduras]:

Changes due to political issues

In relation to the political situation in Honduras, TACA International Airlines would like to inform its customers and passengers that, the option to change dates, routes or flights without penalty, is available until Monday, July 6, 2009 and according to the details below:

- Routes (to, from): San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, La Ceiba and Roatan

- Original travel dates allowed for changes: between June 28 and July 6, 2009.

- The new flight must be dated no later than Friday, July 31, 2009. Penalties for flying after this date will apply again.

- Additional information:
1. The option to reschedule or reroute without penalty will only be allowed during the emergency period (dates mentioned above).
2. The option to reschedule or reroute without penalty will be granted only in those flights where the original ticket class is available. If the change is made into a different class or route from the original ticket, fare leveling will apply.
3. Rerouting also applies to partially used tickets, even if the fare is 'non-refundable'. Always applying the corresponding fare leveling.
4. No waivers are authorized for reimbursement.

To make your changes and get more information, please contact our Call Center.

Now doc, don't you be worried about what makes my earth move :)

And yes... I have to admit the fireworks related watch casuality has come up a time or two in recent days.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I called TACA today from Guatemala, which is where we happen to be flying into Roatan from on Sat. July 4. I called the USA number via skype, and the TACA guy said, yes you are confirmed, yes we are flying and almost a why are you calling attitude. (Forget that their web site states to confirm 3 days in advance) . We are flying direct via El Sal, no mainland stops in Honduras. So other then jsut routine stuff, no problem.

My sister in law got the same when she called CO about her flight into Roatan.

Again, thanks for the info previously supplied.

I'm on Roatan, and everything is just fine. We just celebrated Canada day today with a pig roast. This is after a full day of diving. There is a curfew. Everyone out of the streets by 9:00. We are being forced to be good.

One of our instructors on vacation had his flight delayed but Jose is back.

Today, however, I tried to buy fuel for the boats and I was limited to one barrel, not three. We drove into town and bought the other two.

Honduras is receiving lots of bad PR right now, and it's not warranted. If you lived here, like I do, you would have a better grasp as to what is going on. CNN, is reporting inaccurately as are most other news media organizations. The BBC has been more fair, and it's quite upsetting as an American, be that central or north.

The point is, things might get bad simply b/c of the international b/s that this country is receiving. I've contacted my state representative and state senators. All I ask is for accurate reporting.

The diving is still great, the country is safe, and I hope the rest of the world opens its eyes to what has actually occurred here. This sovereign nation has upheld its constitution and is now receiving political repercussions for it. Perhaps you can not only look into it deeper yourself, but also contact your state representatives and senators as well.

Check out:

ElHeraldo.hn - Honduras, Diario El Heraldo, Tegucigalpa, periodicos de Honduras, noticias de Tegucigalpa, noticias de Honduras, deportes en honduras, El Heraldo Honduras, informacion de Honduras, informacion de Tegucigalpa.

You'll have to translate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom