Preferred Drysuit Config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goindrinkn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I apologize if this has been answered I did some searching and did not see it. I seem to remember reading in a few places that a Front Zip drysuit is "more" preferred that a backzip in the DIR community. (I'll stop short of saying that it is "More DIR") but doesn't a telescoping frontzip drysuit have extra material, that could cause some effect (either drag or as a sail when exiting a cave with the flow) as opposed to a back zip? - if the answer is has to do with being somewhat more self sufficient, isn't that kind of a non issue? (i've seen folks that can zip a backzip without help, and if you're diving DIR your buddy's there anyway...?)

Are there other reasons it's preferred? (Why not save the few bucks?)

Thanks!

J

I have both a front zip (DUI TLS-350) and a back zip (Bare XCD2). I basically always dive the Bare. That said, there's no question that the rear zipper does reduce mobility compared to a front zip. It's not enough to impact safety, just means a bit more work when reaching for valves.

Either type of suit is perfectly "DIR".

As far as I know, there is no specifics in DIR configuration about zip positioning in a drysuit. I have a DUI TLS350 and a DUI CF200x, both front zip, but tryed a backzip from a friend as well, like Rainer I saw no difference in terms of drag. Between the TLS and the CF I use way more the TLS as the trilaminate gives me much more freedon and is easier to reach the valves.

What I have read is that the preference is for a suit you can manage by yourself. It IS more convenient to be able to get yourself zipped up, but as you say, we're always part of a team. More important, in my mind, is getting out of the suit by myself, in case I have had an issue during the pre-dive checks that has required me to return to the car or call the dive.

Definitely an advantage of mobility! I used to have some major issues with valve drills, when I changed to a front zip DS it was a quantum leap in difference.

If it was a quantum leap in difference, you just didn't have a rear zip that fit properly.

It's a noticeable difference, for sure, but not one that should impact safety in the least (i.e. your "major issues with valve drills").

I've had both styles. Get the front zip, you will appreciate the self-donning and doffing convenience down the road way more than the $200 saved now.

Thanks for the help... it seems the consensus is that there's more mobility in the front zip, and this would certainly be a big factor over the money. Thanks again.

Another difference between the two is supposedly in the longevity of the zipper. The theory being that a back-entry suit's zipper is more prone to damage/leaking from the rubbing of the backplate and torquing of the zipper where the shoulder joints flex.

I've never owned a back-entry suit myself, so I can't comment on the practical difference from first-hand experience. A certain amount of wear and tear is inevitable regardless of which zipper configuration you have, but based on what I've heard from (mostly former) owners of back-entry suits, I would never get a one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom