West Michigan Piers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoobers

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if it is legal to dive along the lake side of the piers in Lake Michigan. If it is has anyone ever done it? I was just curious because I have always wanted to dive in Lake Michigan but I am not ready for wreck diving yet nor do I own a boat. There are usually a lot of rocks along the piers so there would at least be something to look at. Thanks.

I dive on the Muskegon breakwall. It's a good snorkel dive to the bend as its only 10 ft deep. A few years ago some polititions wanted to pass laws making it illegal to jump off a pier that would have criminalizes divers, snorkelers, and surfers. The legislation didn't pass.

I was wondering if it is legal to dive along the lake side of the piers in Lake Michigan. If it is has anyone ever done it? I was just curious because I have always wanted to dive in Lake Michigan but I am not ready for wreck diving yet nor do I own a boat. There are usually a lot of rocks along the piers so there would at least be something to look at. Thanks.

Actually there is a great wreck just off Calumet Harbor that is a perfect BEGINNER wreck. Its the Material Service Barge and is in about 45 feet of water (20ish to the deck, 45 to the keel). I think it would be a much safer dive than the breakwalls and piers due to undertow and currents associated with them. N'Pursuit charters out of East Chicago is a regular on that wreck.

YouTube - Lake Michigan Shipwreck Material Service Barge

That barge looks fun, except we were hoping to find some place to shore dive closer to home. If anyone else has any good ideas of where we might be able to shore dive Lake Michigan on the west side of Michigan that would be cool. Thanks guys.

There is a nice wreck right off of of Silver Lake Sanddunes in like 20 foot

The Novadoc off Silver Lake is a nice easy dive. I dove it from a boat. I don't think it would be a shore dive unless you had a dune buggy to get you to the beach. The Muskegon north break wall can be done as a shore dive but its a long walk from the parking lot.
YouTube - Brads scuba cam NOVADOC

The Novadoc off Silver Lake is a nice easy dive. I dove it from a boat. I don't think it would be a shore dive unless you had a dune buggy to get you to the beach.

Or any 4wd truck/SUV ect. go to the north end of the beach. It would be a little of a swim, but do-able. As of a few weeks ago, we put some bright green laundy soap jugs and tied it to both the north end and the south end of the wreck, so people could see it.:D

Back
Top Bottom