June 29th Is anyone on Roatan right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please- no politics in this thread. Just day-to-day Island Life reports

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

What RoatanMan said....

Some posts have been removed.

Note the OP will be there tomorrow....

The situation in Honduras only reinforces my recent change of strategy for Roatan. No more staying in West End, its back to the AI's like Coco View and FIBR exclusively. Not having any pending reservations for Honduras, I would prefer to go somewhere else until things settle down.

Big demonstration marchers on Roatan....

:: Roatan Peace March AKA Photography ::

Islanders on both sides marched together- in peace.

(btw- the military coast guard looking helicopter that is shown is privately owned by a local guy)

Still here. Some customers have cancelled their bookings, Several shops are being affected financially, but we are all still diving.

This is one of the busy times in the year, however.

In terms of climate, it is way hot and the visibility is insanely great. A group of 20 from Texas just left today and they loved it. Two of them are returning for their DM course.

The Bay Islands remain a great diving destination!

Happy 4th!

A group of 20 from Texas just left today and they loved it.

The Bay Islands remain a great diving destination!
As one of those Texans Marcoa mentioned that just left, I'll vouch for everything he said about life on the island at this time. The only real concern we had was whether or not we'd make it to the grocery store before they closed each day so we'd have anough alcohol for the late night pool party at the hotel since curfew closed the bars early. Roatan needs your tourist support right now. If you have a trip planned, please go and enjoy every minute of it!

The situation in Honduras only reinforces my recent change of strategy for Roatan. No more staying in West End, its back to the AI's like Coco View and FIBR exclusively. Not having any pending reservations for Honduras, I would prefer to go somewhere else until things settle down.

Yeah, West End is just a powder keg. IF you were to have a problem on Roatan it would be near the airport, so it really doesn't matter where you stay. If you are afraid of a problem in Roatan you should not go at all. Journalism is dead, the U.S. media is a joke.

I just got back from Anthony's Key Resort 6/25-7/4. I honestly didn't know there was a coup until I logged online a couple of days later and had an e-mail from my parents asking if we were okay. I can't speak to what is happening on the mainland but our dive operations were not affected at all. We visited coxen hole and the west end and didn't have any problems. The resort manager sat down with our group and we asked what she saw happening and she said that people were cancelling their trips out of fear because of what they saw on the news. As dartref said, if you have a trip don't worry about what's going on. Enjoy your trip.

We have a trip planed and paid in full for Sept. I am still full bore, my wife is getting nervous about the unrest on the mainland.

I think the media is full of crap most of the time. Not sure what to believe exactly.

Anyone have any news about when this might calm down?

One of the main features of West End as compared to the AI's is the night life. With a curfew, I don't think West End would be much fun. Anywhere on Roatan there is the possibility that mainland strikes could seriously disrupt supplies of fuel. I believe electricity on Roatan is generated using diesel engines, so that would be at risk as well.

Sorry for being slow, but what is "West End" and what is "AI"?

Night life is not a bother what so ever - so long as wine or liquor can be found before nightfall, we will be happy campers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom