Dry snorkels the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I heard that there are some people who actually prefer just a regular J snorkel with no splash protector. Why is this? I've used them as a kid but always hated them due to choking on tons of water with even the slightest wave and with no purge valve, a real pain to clear. Since then I've used cheapo sports store dry snorkels and have moved onto the "totally dry" Oceanic Ultra Dry snorkel, which IMO is so completely overrated it's not even funny. It is not totally dry and water can definitely get in, but overall it's still good. Performance is totally and utterly on par with dry snorkels I've bought for $20 at the sports stores like US Divers or Body Glove. But I can't imagine snorkeling or freediving in anything other than a dry snorkel. So what gives?

They are a gimmick to properly trained divers and snorkelers. I was talked into one when I first got certified because that's what the shop had in stock and got the most markup on. I now carry a simple pocket snorkel that yes does have a purge valve but that's only because I hate wearing a snorkel in the first place. I advise my students to go the cheapest way possible when choosing a snorkel because once they are out of training when scuba diving they most likely will grow to hate the thing. When snorkeling I prefer a basic snorkel that is an old dacor I got at John Pennenkamp state park on a snorkel trip. It is a basic J tube with no frills or gimmicks, I think it cost $2. I'd like to find one that folds up to use for everything. And again it all comes down to knowing how to properly use and clear one. If you have beeen shown how and practice with it it is no more difficult than a "dry snorkel" and is alot cheaper.

Snorkel? What is that? Some kind of devil device? Does it help to sling your deco bottles easier or is it a handle for carrying doubles? Please tell me, I might want one.

Only kidding. They are devil sticks and I want one not. :D

Your best bet is a fold up or roll up snorkel.

for snorkelling a dry snorkel is probably a good thing.

for scuba- the lowest possible profile and drag is all you want/need.

On a charter last week my insta-buddy commented that her snorkel didn't feel right on her mask. The Captain responded, "when you get back, I'll show you where to put the snorkel so that it's out of the way." Without thinking, I blurted out, "I'll help you now- how about under the benchseat?" The Captain was not amused...

With that said, I do use a snorkel when snorkeling. I have an old Aqualung Impulse II and a plain jane Cressi Sub j-snorkel. Neither are completely dry- the Impulse has a narrowing at the top with a spash diverter which is really effective and a purge near the mouthpiece for any water that made it down the barrel of the snorkel. The Cressi Sub is just a tube bent with a mouthpiece. I like the latter though because I have learned how to use it and I don't have to worry about anything failing (like the little one way-valve on the purge). Both are good snorkels with the Cressi Sub being a bit less bulky.

A completely dry snorkel is not the greatest because if it is truly dry and the wearer is wearing it, using it, and then goes to depth, the wearer may experience pain as the volume decreases. This is called mouth squeeze. As fuzzybabybunny mentioned, even the completely dry snorkel is not completely dry so that may be a good thing- but too bad at an inflated cost.

I don't snorkel, so I can't comment on what a person would use for that but I do dive and I refused to attach a snorkel to my mask after OW class was over. If you NEED a snorkel then get a fold up version and stick it in a pocket.

There are few things more annoying, uncomfortable, or ridiculous looking then a snorkel attached to the side of your head (IMHO)

T

...There are few things more annoying, uncomfortable, or ridiculous looking then a snorkel attached to the side of your head (IMHO)

T

I wasn't going to mention the dork factor but I'm glad you did. :D

If you are properly trained in snorkeling, then you really don't need more than a simple "j" tube with an open top. Dry snorkels are preferred by people who go snorkeling at the beach on vacation and have never received proper training in snorkel use. In the scuba industry, snorkeling is a very underrated sport, when in fact there are way more snorkelers than scuba divers. As for having a snorkel with scuba, you want the most hydrodynamic model available, which means either no snorkel, or one that can be quickly removed and placed in a pocket. It has absolutely no use to a scuba diver underwater other than to provide drag, be a line trap, and otherwise be a huge P.I.T.A.
Take care,
George

I heard that there are some people who actually prefer just a regular J snorkel with no splash protector. Why is this? I've used them as a kid but always hated them due to choking on tons of water with even the slightest wave and with no purge valve, a real pain to clear. Since then I've used cheapo sports store dry snorkels and have moved onto the "totally dry" Oceanic Ultra Dry snorkel, which IMO is so completely overrated it's not even funny. It is not totally dry and water can definitely get in, but overall it's still good. Performance is totally and utterly on par with dry snorkels I've bought for $20 at the sports stores like US Divers or Body Glove. But I can't imagine snorkeling or freediving in anything other than a dry snorkel. So what gives?

To bad some of our members won't adress your question.:shakehead:
I've tryed the same snorkel,I could not get a drop of water in it.And I did try.:D
So my idea is that there's something wrong with the total dry snorkel.
It should be totaly dry.
Get back to your dealer and have a GOOD talk about this.
Best IMO would be to try again and try to find where the water is comming from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom