AI Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recall the knock on wireless AI computers was they'd lose signal and you'd have no air indicator. Are the newer ones better at this or was that more myth than fact?

300+ dives on mine - in every possible environment from caves to wrecks to pretty fishies - and I've never had this happen. Not saying it doesn't happen, just never seen it for myself.

All of the divers I know that have them, like them.

I use a ProPlus2 (AI computer on a hose) I like it as well.

Well, an AI Computer is much more expensive than a normal wrist computer. Also out of my budget.
It will only tell you how many psi you have in your tank following your dive profile. Nice information, but needed ?
What does a dive computer tell you ?
Two things : depth & time and with those two things where you are in the tables.

If you calculate your Preasure Group by hand in the planning phase and after the dive, you will consider only the max depth (rounded up) and time (again rounded up) from the moment you went down to the moment you came up. You are going up when you or your dive buddy run out of air or you and your dive buddy are near the NDL.
In this last case is where the Dive Computer is a distinctive gadget. If you have still air you can go on diving as the dive profile will follow what you actually did and not the max depth.
Add alarms, security stop, nice colours and PC interfase, and you are. Less 500 bucks.

While I value your opinion, I think you missed the boat here, but again thanks for your input.

Hi vtxkev, I didn't follow you, what about the boat ?
One additional point. An AI Computer would be fine if you own also the regulator. If you are renting the regulator at the LDS, there is almost no option to insert the pressure sender in it before the dive.
Most rented regulators have, at least, an analog manometer.

I am also new to diving and purchased an air-integrated computer after about 10 dives. I bought it because it made sense to me to have the info available on my computer, and on my wrist. I like the set-up very much. I have a Galileo Sol, which is AI, and a Suunto Mosquito, not AI, as a back-up.

The back-up can be used in the event my transmitter goes haywire. I would need to rent a gauge, but I could still use my own gear. That would probably be much easier than finding a replacement transmitter that is compatible if I happened to be in a remote location. Hasn't happened yet, and I hope it never does, but it always is good to have a back-up plan.

My vote is for an AI computer.

Well, an AI Computer is much more expensive than a normal wrist computer. Also out of my budget.
It will only tell you how many psi you have in your tank following your dive profile. Nice information, but needed ?
Two things : depth & time and with those two things where you are in the tables.

If you calculate your Preasure Group by hand in the planning phase and after the dive, you will consider only the max depth (rounded up) and time (again rounded up) from the moment you went down to the moment you came up. You are going up when you or your dive buddy run out of air or you and your dive buddy are near the NDL.
In this last case is where the Dive Computer is a distinctive gadget. If you have still air you can go on diving as the dive profile will follow what you actually did and not the max depth.
Add alarms, security stop, nice colours and PC interfase, and you are. Less 500 bucks.

I'm confused. Are you saying you only do square profiles when using a computer? You don't mention the ability of the computer to constantly recalculate your NDLs on a multilevel dive. Or am I misunderstanding?

AI computers also estimate how long your air supply will last at your current rate of consumption, which some people find useful.

I'm confused. Are you saying you only do square profiles when using a computer? You don't mention the ability of the computer to constantly recalculate your NDLs on a multilevel dive. Or am I misunderstanding?

AI computers also estimate how long your air supply will last at your current rate of consumption, which some people find useful.

No, without a Dive Computer you must manually calculate your dive as a square profile.
A dive computer is usefull to constantly recalculate your NDLs.

For a very new diver an AI computer is way overkill, continuos checking/fumbling of gauges is simply someone who is new to the sport and not yet relaxed and/or familiar with kit layout - specially if at least some diving has been done on rented kit.
I've had both AI computer, which I didn't like, as I found the minutes of air left feature a complete pain and gave weird information sometimes, usually when there was something like a hard fast swim on a shore dive to get the the reef, or a hard swim against the tide to reach the wreck if the shot had missed a bit - or do something odd with deco if I used energy shifting the shot at the end of the dive. I kept it for about 50 dives, then sold it on ebay.
Early on I'd just spend time learning my configuration until muscle memory works, and it's a good idea to have an idea how to plan dives so you can work it out if/when the computer dies on you
On any dive with significant deco I'd plan it in advance and stick to it, but as a confirmed wreck diver it's relatively easy.
On shallower/shorter dives in theory I'd use a dive computer, but in practice mine went flat about 2 years ago and I've never quite got round to changing the batteries so I've just used a d-timer.
I will however change them before a trip to the redsea in a couple of months with 3 or 4 dives a day for a week, but it is simply a basic nitrox computer, and I've no intention of doing more than 5 or 10 minutes of stops on any dive

The problem with diving tables in this way is they assume a square profile. Very few dives are "square". A computer will give you much longer dive times by constantly recalculating your NDL based on depth and air consumption

I have about 20 dives and I find myself constantly looking at my wrist mount computer for depth and time. I also find myself fumbling for my console to check my air ALL THE TIME. So I wonder if an AI computer should have been the way I went from the start? If I had everything all in one spot on my wrist i might be able to stay more neutral and relaxed?
Three thoughts: 1) A wrist-mounted, wireless AI computer IS a convenience. If you are comfortably swimming in a neutral, horizontal position, hands lightly touching / joined together in front of you, you can easily read depth, time AND air supply with at most a slight rotation of the wrist. The system, considerng both the computer and transmitter, is not inexpensive but worth it if resources are available to purchase it, new or used (and there are good buys to be had on eBay and elsewhere from time to time). I use a Vytec and transmitter this way, even when diving doubles with deco bottles, and I love it; 2) I would not recommend replacing your SPG with a wireless AI computer and transmitter. The actual streamlining benefit - removing a hose - is relatively trivial. And, although experinces differ, there may be instances where the units fail to synchronize, or where readings become anomalous (usually at lower tank pressures) during a dive. Why take the chance, when keeping a SPG (which you already have) is really not a problem?; 3) based on your description, I would encourage you to continue to work to develop good buoyancy and trim, and to practice using your SPG while maintaining that buoyancy and trim. (I didn't read anything in your post that suggests you are trying to substitute equipment for experience, but just want to add emphasis to a good point made by another poster).

I understand your comment about being relaxed, and was there this weekend. Diving deep (to the props on the Oriskany), with an AL80 and AL40 both clipped on the left side, a bungee strap broke on my Vytec mount as I entered the water. I took the Vytec off and put it in my pocket to avoid losing it (it is a back-up computer on deco dives, anyway). But, I then seemed to fumble a couple of times with my SPG when reclipping it. It was a minor issue, but still a distraction, and I probably sucked a bit more air getting frustrated with my inability to easily do something - unclipping and reclipping the SPG - that I usually do without even thinking, at a time when I particularly didn't want distractions, or any additional burden on my gas supply. My assessment afterward - I still really like the convenience of wireless AI, but want to avoid becoming too comfortable / dependant on it.

Back
Top Bottom