PT-023 housing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've always been a little nervous about the way the port on this Olympus housing attaches to the body, and sure enough, on my vacation to Hawaii, pre-dive I noticed the port was loose and found a little chunk of broken plastic where it had attached. The port will not attach securely to the body any more. Yay for careful pre-dive checks!

A quick search revealed others have experienced this as well.

I am looking for opinions on the following. I assume Oly built the housing this way so one could attach alternate ports for the two add-on lenses they sold for the C8080. If one was comfortable with not being able to change, could the standard port be permanently affixed to the body? If yes, what adhesive should one use? Should the orings be left in place for positioning or other purposes (recognizing that their sealing function would be mooted by the permanent adhesive) or should they be left out?

I'd love to find a way to keep using this discontinued housing, it seems a shame to scrap the whole thing just for this, especially as replacements are quite hard to find. I sure wish I had listened to the little voice in my head and gone with an Ikelite when they were still available!

Thanks

Last edited:
After flooding one c-8080, I tried epoxying the port....that was a real mess. Finally changed out the housing for an Ikelite housing....much happier now!

Yep, what I would do too...if I could find an Ike housing...

Score! Picked up an Ike, dome port, and a spare C8080 on eBay.

Also, for anyone else with the PT-023 problem, I found that this guy:

Willkommen bei mikedive!

has what looks like a nice repair for this problem. He will quote you a price if you email him.

I have the PT-020 housing and it is nice to have a resource if it develops a problem.

Back
Top Bottom