Morehead City, NC diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little late but here is my dive report from my May NC trip. It was awesome. I went with Tortuga Charters, top notch operation. Only got blown out one day out of five.

“Well, it’s back to the salt mines. I’m sitting here at work but my mind is on the Tortuga trying to snag the hook on the U-352. It was a great trip, which included some great diving, some adventure diving, a German U-boat, 5 other great wrecks, sand tiger sharks, clouds of bait fish, great bunk mates, awesome dive buddies,. Beer Can in the Butt Chicken, a visit to the Swamp House, mud buggying and an unforgettable taste of Southern Hospitality.

We dived for 4 days out of 5, which in the context of North Carolina diving in May is beating the odds. 3 out of 5 would have been the average. Dancing with the squalls was certainly an adventure, but with Captain James at the helm, the squalls were only a minor inconvenience.

Captain James promised us he would get us to the U-Boat, he not only kept his promise but he got us to U-352 twice. We started the adventure on U-352 as the first dive and ended the adventure on U-352 as our last dive. By the second dive of the U-352 we had seen a DVD I purchased on her history and discovery, which made the last dive of the trip so much more meaningful.

All our dives were at about 110 feet except for the Indra which was at about 65 feet. She might have been at a shallower depth but aside from the U-352 was probably the most enjoyable dive. She stands upright after being cleaned and prepared as an artificial reef and scuttled in 1992, providing relatively safe penetration opportunities.

Diving the Papoose was also a step back into history as she was sunk by the U-124 in1942. She is so big that we chose to dive her as our second dive on the same day.

The Aeolus is teeming with sand tiger sharks and was a fun dive. Mark (The Okie from Muskogee) did his Titanic dance off the stern, which we originally thought was the bow.

The Shurz was an interesting dive. On the way down the ascent line, at 65 feet I saw what I thought was sea grass swaying back and forth in the current, I looked at my depth gauge and thought, why is there sea grass at 65 feet when the sand is at 110 feet? Am I narced? As I got closer I realized that the sea grass was actually bait fish, that actually covered and obscured the view of the ship. As we reached the end of the anchor line where it was hooked to the ship, Ted attached a strobe to the chain, and we swam for several yards before we saw metal, the cloud of bait fish was so thick. It was challenging to navigate her because you couldn’t orient yourself on the ship, because you could not see it with so much bait fish. At one point I swam right into a bait ball and as the ball opened up for me I came face to face with a huge sand tiger shark in the middle, which I later found out is a regular denizen of the Shurz.

Dove with Tortuga again last weekend and capt. James (Ken) is still talking about all the fun he had with you guys. We dove the Schurz 2x and it was just a fantastic dive. Beautiful old wreck and so many fish. Glad you guys had such a good time and come on down again soon.

I'll be diving with Captain James August 10-12, and doing the QAR program Aug 13-14. If anyone would like to join us there's room.

:jaws:

The Shurz was an interesting dive. On the way down the ascent line, at 65 feet I saw what I thought was sea grass swaying back and forth in the current, I looked at my depth gauge and thought, why is there sea grass at 65 feet when the sand is at 110 feet? Am I narced? As I got closer I realized that the sea grass was actually bait fish, that actually covered and obscured the view of the ship. As we reached the end of the anchor line where it was hooked to the ship, Ted attached a strobe to the chain, and we swam for several yards before we saw metal, the cloud of bait fish was so thick. It was challenging to navigate her because you couldn’t orient yourself on the ship, because you could not see it with so much bait fish. At one point I swam right into a bait ball and as the ball opened up for me I came face to face with a huge sand tiger shark in the middle, which I later found out is a regular denizen of the Shurz.

I did not take this photo, actually I found it on the internet, but it is exactly what I saw as described in my dive report, highlighted in red above. At the time I had my camera clipped off to a d-ring and by the time I got it the shark was gone. It was eerie when I saw this photo because it was exactly what I saw. Since this shark is a regular at this wreck I wonder if this is the one I saw and whoever shot it had there camera ready when they swam into the bait ball.

:jaws:

Attachments

• sandtiger.jpg
    sandtiger.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 68
Mundo...I have to confess. John is right, I am still talking about that week..what fun.

I can't wait to have you back on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of that week.

For any of you guys that would like to join us in August, apparently the wall street crash of 2008 has taken its toll on the New York group and we have a couple of spots. I will run short for my buddy El Tiburon, but why not join us for the fun!! Call or email me for more details. Limited lodging available, one day or all. First come, first served.

Captain James Cooks. So there will be beer can in the butt chicken as an added bonus for all who join in.

As Mundo and John can tell you, diving with us is more like a day on the boat with friends than a trip on a dive boat.

Mundo...I have to confess. John is right, I am still talking about that week..what fun.

I can't wait to have you back on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of that week.

For any of you guys that would like to join us in August, apparently the wall street crash of 2008 has taken its toll on the New York group and we have a couple of spots. I will run short for my buddy El Tiburon, but why not join us for the fun!! Call or email me for more details. Limited lodging available, one day or all. First come, first served.

Captain James Cooks. So there will be beer can in the butt chicken as an added bonus for all who join in.

As Mundo and John can tell you, diving with us is more like a day on the boat with friends than a trip on a dive boat.

I can vouch for that. He has a very nice boat and a first class operation. Give him a try if you want some TLC in NC :wink:

AL

Back
Top Bottom