Ohio Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jj.smith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In August I will be traveling to Northwest Ohio to visit family. I'm trying to locate a dive shop near Findlay, Ohio that I can contact to schedule my last two PADI OW dives for certification. I know that the nearby town of Ottow, OH has a quarry where people go to dive but I can't seem to find a dive shop that is nearby.

Any information will be appreciated

jj smith

In August I will be traveling to Northwest Ohio to visit family. I'm trying to locate a dive shop near Findlay, Ohio that I can contact to schedule my last two PADI OW dives for certification. I know that the nearby town of Ottow, OH has a quarry where people go to dive but I can't seem to find a dive shop that is nearby.

jj smith

It's Gilboa quarry you are referring to. Contact them for ideas or post this query in the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum

Looking at the map, Portage might be good, about 25 miles north of Findlay. And if you are there in early Aug, the ledgends of diving event is taking place, lot of cool old gear and some of the pioneers of diving will be there. It would be worth the trip just to meet Dottie Fraiser, at 80+ she still rides her Harley, an inspiring lady to say the least. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a vintage dive event this spring.
Portage Quarry Recreation Club inc.

I second Gilboa Quarry. It has the most stuff to offer a diver.

I went to Gilboa last year... I called them and spoke to Mike, the owner, who said that if I didn't like the quarry, he would pay for the entrance fees, hotel and gas... That right there said alot about the type organization they have there...FIRST CLASS!!!
We spent two days there and enjoyed every bit of it

Gilboa Quarry Scuba Diving

There is plenty to see underwater and don't forget to get fish food for the bus....:D

jj smith

Everyone was helpful in a way,, but I dont think anyone read your post completely. As far as getting your last two classes done. There are no dive shop per se on premesis of those quarries mentioned. The instructors and dive shop use the quarries to do their training. You would have to contact an instructor or dive shop to make arrangements to meet you at one of the mentioned quarries in this thread to do your training dives.

Basically contact any shop within a 2 hour drive of those quarries. They will be able to help you.. I dont know any off hand. I do know a couple of instructors that hang out here in the wrecking crew but one is Naui and Im not sure what Rich at Divers incorporated is?? Padi or SSI.

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I did contact Gilboa Quarry to start my search for an instructor. I am also going to look at White Star. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again

JJ :blinking:

I may just take you up on that offer! During the week works for me as well.

Thanks

JJ

For over 25 years Portage Quarry has been a Padi resort and Training facility. In Fact they were the only training facility in Ohio at a Quarry. Yes they still offer that service and teach every day at the Portage Quarry and Puimp Air and Nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom