• Yes, but I prefer a buddy

Votes: 194 50.0%
  • Yes, I prefer to dive solo

Votes: 135 34.8%
  • Buddies are for wimps and the insecure

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Would you (or do you) engage in solo diving?

yes and yes.

There's a subforum here on the board if you want more info.

I appreciate that - I was trying to throw the question open to a wider readership for the poll though.

Yes. I solo dive as much as I can just for the sake of it (rather than because of a lack of a buddy). I enjoy buddy diving a lot (especially with my regular buddies) but I really find I need to do dives alone now and again, because they are just so relaxing.

I enjoy solo diving, I like not having to continuosly look around and see what my buddy is doing. I like being able to stop and look at a fish for 15 minutes if I want to. I like being able to decide I'm going diving and being in the water 20 minutes later.

Yes. I solo dive as much as I can just for the sake of it (rather than because of a lack of a buddy). I enjoy buddy diving a lot (especially with my regular buddies) but I really find I need to do dives alone now and again, because they are just so relaxing.

I realised just after I posted the poll that I should have rephrased option 4 to read: "Yes, I prefer to dive solo."

I have dove solo, but I don't necessarily prefer a buddy, I just usually always have one since my entire family dives. The way I have observed some buddies dive, they both are essentially solo. I have wondered sometimes, given this observation, if we would not be better off teaching solo diving. Of course I know this opens a long running debate as many would point to my buddy observation as yet another piece of evidence that demonstrates most agencies are not currently training divers properly.

I solo dive at our local quarrys and lakes. 80% of time with a group of 3-5 other divers. As many of you know, once you get in lake or quarry with 5' vis people go all different directions and the pre planning is non existent and it becomes solo diving. Most all diving really is solo diving. The exception is that buddy you have been diving with for years. All certifying agencies should come into the 21st century with their training. Many lives would be saved if everyone accepted ( see the poll) that solo diving is prevalent and exists. Teach new divers to be self reliant and then if they wish to have a buddy, do it for other reasons than depending on a stranger to be your savior is a mess up.

just my 2 cents worth,

later,
dktexas54

I would rather have a dive that i could enjoy rather then be worrying about someone that shows little control or care and if i didnt know the "buddy" would much rather dive in an area that is easy enough to break off into an easy solo dive. After thinking of this and reading about the Hollywood diver am thinking places similar to Blue Heron Bridge are perfect for this aslong as the tides are right with some of the deepest areas you hit at about 30' and since it is kinda enclosed, emergency exit points are kinda plentiful aslong as you can hit surface, and usually lifeguard, sheriff and patrons in the area incase of emergency. I would rather dive with a buddy im familiar with though (one of my 5 friends i have already dove with) and if i meet any new buddies would probably go to BHB or similar area to become familiar then do normal offshore dives. I would prefer a buddy, but if the "buddy" is a total clown that you would be worried about the whole dive would kill the fun and solo dives (and in my possible future buddy breakin dives) should only really be done in areas that have relatively low risk.

edit: I think they should make note of solo diving in courses but not teach it since it may give some people a false idea of well i learned how to dive solo then do something stupid. I know some places offer solo dive courses which i think just would tell you to make sure your in a safer area/depths and encourage a spare air to be carried. If you havent noticed already most certified divers are vacation divers and not all of them have an understanding of the ocean or local bodies of water that locals have (simple and common example is lake worth florida's beach right after a nice surf break, tourists go running into the water not knowing about rocks that are usually burried in the sand and slip on them sometimes getting injured)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom