June 29th Is anyone on Roatan right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

West End is a town on the N.W. part of the Island. This is where the majority of the dive ops and restaurants are. AI means all inclusive. Coco view and Fantasy Island are on the other side of the island. Basically you check in and stay within the resort. Everything is included in your price, diving-lodging-and food. I will assume they have back up generators but so do many of the resorts on the north side. Personal choice. I prefer the ability to eat at different places at night and maybe even a little bar hopping. You can't go wrong either way.

I would like a little insight on what people think about traveling to roatan on saturday july 11 with my wife and 2 children ages 5 and 9. I have been reading the US travel warnings and they say dont go, but then I do know Roatan is alot different than the mainland
would love some views from people
thanks

I would like a little insight on what people think about traveling to roatan on saturday july 11 with my wife and 2 children ages 5 and 9.
Hey NJ,
I will be heading there Saturday as long as the plane goes but I gotta tell you I have no interest in going with your wife and kids.

NJ Wreck Diver also posted this on it's own new thread.

I had to ask him, though- what could someone here post that would make him decide one way or the other?

Just what would that be?

Still here. Some customers have cancelled their bookings, Several shops are being affected financially, but we are all still diving.

I'm one of those customers who cancelled their bookings at CCTD. Didn't want to, but I was in Honduras on business, and my organization instructed me to leave the country.
I spent a week on Comoyagua (dead center of Honduras, ~1 hr north of Tegucigalpa), and I can say that they aren't experiencing any issues like Tegu. As others have said, most Hondurans are glad Zelaya (the deposed president) is gone, guy was a real crazy. Business seems to be going on as normal for the rest of the country (except for the curfew).
Bottom line, Honduras seemed pretty safe to me (as long as you don't drive).

Hey there, NJWreck Diver - tell you what - I just got back 3 days ago and I can't get back soon enough - so if you decide not to go, I'll sacrifice myself and go in your place. ;-)

Sadiesmom

My sister, whom I would not send into harms way, is headed to Roatan this week-end, the 11th for a six week stay. As of right now, the curfew is 10:00 pm.

This morning, Monty and his fun divers spotted 6 sting rays and a Hawksbill turtle at Tabyanna's. My AOW student and I had to settle for a spotted eagle ray and a turtle.

My friend Alex, an instructor at Native Sons spotted a pea on her first dive after a month long vacation in the UK. Visibility is great and the water temperature is 84 degrees. The ferry from La Ceiba is running, flights and cruise ships are still coming.

haha, marco, sounds like a rough day! :p

The curfew has been lifted.

Folks have been canceling. We signed up some students who were headed to Utila, but the ferry wasn't running b/c of lack of customers. There was plenty of walk in business who've decided to come anyhow, and they've realized things are pretty amazing.

This morning we went on a lionfish gathering dive. We found one, but while trying to capture our second one, it swam in to the crevices. Little bastard! And so we were left with the illusion of capturing another one. We're ordering slurp guns to carry on our person.

Tonight it's raining like crazy, but other than that things are all good. Tomorrow we'll swing by Mandy's Eel garden on the second morning dive to catch the little guy.

Water temp was 83 degrees F according to three of my dive computers.

Happy diving folks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom