Split fins v paddle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenaddyman23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i had a pair of oceanic viper fins which i LOVED but they only lasted me about 10ish dives before they broke, i was living on a remote island in fiji at the time and had to do two dives a day for three months with a broken fin which caused a massive drag!

any way...are split fins better than paddle fins, ive heard splits are not good in currents?

I prefer paddle fins, but many prefer split fins.

asking which is better is like getting into a ford vs chevy or rent vs own your own gear debate . . . each has its own pros and cons.

try the :search: function you should get LOTS of varying opinions on this subject . . .

i own and prefer atomic split fins

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Gentlemen,some offtopic posts are removed.
IF you don't have anything the OP can use.
Go play in the Pub.

Apparently, my preference was not stated in a serious enough manner for 300 bar. Why preference should be stated in a stone-faced, serious matter is completely beyond me. To answer the question in a way that will hopefully not get it taken off by 300 bar as being off topic:
I dive Jetfins, and have recently converted to Force Fins. I have used various brands of splits, and I have always felt that I put much more in than I get out. I love my jetfins, they are powerhouses. The only problem with that is, for people with weaker legs, injured joints/muscles, etc., paddles wear the legs out quickly. Split fins will not cause the same level of strain on the legs, but they will also not offer the same level of thrust. IMHO, if you are in good physical shape, splits are unnecessary. I can wear my jets all day long, but I sometimes feel like I'm developing a case of shin splints after long days of diving.
With all of that being said, I love my new Force Fins. They are very maneuverable. And quite fast, but I have found a very nice, slow cruising speed in them. The open foot pocket also greatly reduces the strain on the top of the foot and your shin, which speaks for itself. They require a slightly different kick pattern and frequency, but anything different requires a bit of a learning curve.
I still have a soft spot in my heart for my jetfins, but the ForceFIns are friggin' shweet!!
Long story short: My opinion, go Forcefin, or go Jetfin
300 Bar, I hope this is up to snuff for ya

there really is no substitute for you to try both and see which one works best for you

in my case, i find Jetfins do the trick

Many recreational divers like and use split fins. Most all of the technical/cave/wreck divers prefer paddles (Jets, turtles and the like.)

My wife loves her splits and I love my Omega Amphibian Flip fins, a type of paddle. YMMV

Dude, I have seen those flip fins on dive boats, interesting looking! would hate to jump in the water without "unflipping" them :D

Wow. I've been on this board for 7 years and this topic just won't go away.

Seriously though, I have a set of Atomic Splits that work fine except for a tear from when I had to use them as a shovel to dig my car out of the snow after a dive trip. $110 in 2000.

With my drysuit I don't use them. I feel more comfortable with heavy blade fines and spring straps. $15 on eBay.

Despite what you may have heard you can frog kick and back up with both kinds with practice.

Get someone to lend you several styles and go with what works for your style of diving. Happy Bubbles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom