Can medication increase or decrease oxtox susceptibility??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WheelerDealer once bubbled...
I hope you understand my previous post was not meant to be a smart*ss comment but instead an honest question.
I took your question as an honest question. I was making fun of my own tangential response about depressants making you careless.

An article that reviews what is known, and a lot of what is merely suspected is ftp://ftp.decompression.org/pub/Brian/Mechanisms of Hyperoxic Seizures.pdf

It discusses the possible effects of things like CO2 and stress on increasing susceptibility to oxtox. It has a lot of other tidbits, such as the speculation that the reason why caffeine reduced oxtox in rats is that it constricts cerebral blood vessels, reducing flow, and thereby reducing oxygen tensions during hyperoxia.

Charlie

To go back to your original question of the influence of meds on oxtox. I don't know whether this bit of info goes under pulmonary oxtox or what but;
People who have been treated with Bleomycin (cytostaticum(=chemo) used to treat testicular cancer and Hodgkin's disease) are said to be a lot more susceptible to the ill effects of higher ppO2. DAN says: Anybody who has ever been treated with bleomycin can never dive. Apparently ppO2 over .3 ata is dangerous and can lead to ARDS. That's at +-5m!
I have not been able to find out the specifics (stats / physiological mechanisms etc.) because as far as I know the only research done is on rats, and a few casestudies.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
SubQ

Not sure if this helps, but am a Hodgkins Stage IV survivor (6 cycles of ABVD) and told my doc that I am going diving. He suggested 600mg/3 day of acetyl cysteine 1 week prior and during the diving. It is an antioxidant. Been on several dive trips (using Nitrox); no issues.

Back
Top Bottom