Saltwater Aspiration Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The air is so dry that normally you taste nothing.

At least I don't.

If I taste salt, I want to know WHY. I've had a water-intrusion leak before and it tasted like breathing through a firehose - VERY unwelcome and VERY obvious.

I also had a buddy of mine who rented a reg once and got one that breathed quite "wet" - they thumbed the dive and on our stop I queried what was wrong, didn't get what she was trying to tell me, so she signalled OOA! I dutifully gave her my long hose, at which point she passed me back HER reg.

One drag off it and I instantly knew what was wrong with it :wink:

From my experiences with it I'd say it'd be pretty tough not to notice if you were getting significant salt mist intrusion into your breathing air stream.... seems to me you'd definitely taste it.

Perhaps, I should have said, that a salty taste in my mouth might not raise a concern. I expect that there can be salt water. Yes, the air is tasteless.

Larry Stein

... especially for a new diver who hasn't done it more than once or twice and doesn't know what to expect in terms of how things taste and feel.

Laurence Stein DDS once bubbled...

Osmosis is simply the diffusion of WATER.

Close. You left out that part about semipermable membrane and its really the diffusion of any solvent or in this case, water, the universal solvent.

Yup, your right!

From my experience, always bring your own gear, all except weightbelt & tanks. Don't trust any rental gear especially regs, especially in the Caribbean. I always take my own gear and carry my mask,reg and dive light on the plane in a carryon. When I was in Jamaica, I went to the dive shack and the dive shack guy was smoking a big one at 7:00am. When I picked up my rusty tank,with a rusty valve and a cruddy weightbelt I didn't wonder why. Don't get discouraged. I also think your reg has a loose mouthpiece that was leaking water. That happened to me a few years ago. I got my reg serviced, and my first dive of the season, I go down about 15 feet and suck in a lung full of water. I did an emergency ascent and couldn't figure it out. The shop who serviced my reg forgot to put on a strap that attached my mouth piece and the mouthpiece fell off. The next day I had an octopus.

Hi Guys,

I also wonder what has happened to bubbleornothing. Genesis has hit the nail on the head. As I earlier posted this does not sound at all like equipment failure since to me it would seem BON simply lost conciousness on ascent and is making many assumptions about what happened to him.

As a doctor I feel equipment failure is unlikely to be the cause.

We discussed drowning on this thread which was before I suffered a similar, more serious, incident caused by a cerebral artery gas emblus and a "shallow water blackout" on the ascent from a fesh water dive.

In summary, salt causes a toxic reaction in the lungs, like chlorine poison gas used in the first world war, and causes the victim to choke. Small quantities of fresh water are much less troublesome.

I doubt the quantities of salt in an aerosol would be sufficient in the short term to cause respiratory distress but a small quantity of liquid salt water could, but the diver would know about that!

If you want to read a true horror story take a look at this page on the thread on which I describe what happend to me - due solely to a patent foramen ovale.

- not for the faint hearted. :eek:

I hope this helps.

Thanks sooooo much to all who replied with all the helpful advice on my situation! Great bunch of folks here.

I haven't replied because I just now returned from the island and after the first morning of responses, I'd made my decision on whether to make another go of it this trip and did not spend the money or time to log back on at the "cafe connection"...opting to thank everyone and give my update from home.

I'm fine, if not a bit embarassed and confused as to what I might have done wrong. I'm still not sure what the cause was.

I initially tasted a bit of salt on the mouthpiece, but attribute that to switching from snorkel to reg at the start of the dive (shore entry and we snorkeled to the point where we went down). The reg was clear of fluid from the combination of using the purge and exhaling through the reg before I took my first inhale. There was no "salty" taste to the air that I could detect from that point on.

The question about whether I'd been deeper than 30fsw? Yes. My max depth was 45fsw. I was at that depth for about 1-2 mins and we were slowly working our way back along the bottom towards the shore when the breathing difficulty began presenting at 30fsw.

The attending physician was a dive physician and the doc that was responsible for bringing the recompression chamber to Bonaire, setting it up, etc...or so I'm told...so he's presumably a qualified dive doc. That should rule out a mis-diagnosis. The official diagnosis was Salt Water Aspiration Syndrom and I was treated for a near-drowning case, as that was how the lung films and initial listen to the lungs presented.

There were no lingering effects. I recovered pretty quickly, having received Lassix, Prednisone, an anti-asthmatic, and Doxycycline in conjuction with IV fluid and oxygen. (If any of the docs out there are interested in dosages, I'd be happy to provide, I believe I have all the relevant info in the records I brought home.) I remained at the hospital for about 5 hrs w/ oxygen and fluids for observation before being released. The following morning, I went for a follow up doc visit the to check for any residual fluid retention or production and got the all clear.

The dive shop (which has a great reputation), checked all the equipment and claims no defects or malfunctions. I wouldn't have pursued it further, even if they'd claimed responsibility, have no plans to do so, nor do I have any reason to doubt their honesty. They were extremely accomodating...the DM spent most of the day at the hospital keeping us company and making sure the local dive doc was the attending physician, and even chauffuerred us to and from the hospital, as well as to the local pharmacy to get the antibiotic prescription filled.

All said and done, I was still a bit apprehensive about continuing my c-card dives and opted to finish this trip snorkeling. I will go on to get certified at some point in the near future. Providing the remaining 3 dives of the certification go well, I will keep the depths at a range from which I know I can safely surface without further risk if the problem happens again. I'll also do so using my own equipment, just for peace of mind.

What did I learn from the experience? First of all, I know that I won't panic in difficult situations. The situation could have ended much worse, but I responded as taught and remained calm...even without being able to catch my breath at depth. I stopped and tried to focus on breathing slowly, remembered procedure and surfaced slowly while rapping my tank and signaling "go up" to both my buddy and the DM ahead of me, and remained calm at the surface, despite a continued inability to breathe comfortably. (Sorry, but I'm pretty proud of that considering that the fluid in my lungs was highly audible at that time and breathing was extremely difficult.)

In any case, I was snorkeling a little over 36 hrs after the event and had a wonderful time on the island. I'll return to Bonaire next year...next time, hopefully, as a certified diver.

Again, my thanks to all those who provided input and showed concern for my safety.

Best fishes and safe travels.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Good to hear from you and glad that things worked out OK.

Congratulations are due on three counts:

1) The way you handled yourself during the emergency.
2) Your mature decision not to scuba again on that trip.
3) Your decision to get your own equipment.

Happy diving!

:eek:ut:

bdm.

beche de mer once bubbled...
Hi Jeff.

Good to hear from you and glad that things worked out OK.

Congratulations are due on three counts:

1) The way you handled yourself during the emergency.
2) Your mature decision not to scuba again on that trip.
3) Your decision to get your own equipment.

Happy diving!

:eek:ut:

bdm.

Back
Top Bottom