Animal Planet Leapord Seal Special Sunday 7PM ET

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope once bubbled...
The show had lots of pretty pictures but very little substance.

I must say the the diver was very brave. Either that or they were doing lots of work behind the camera that they didn't talk about.
I note very few male leopard seals in the show.

Of course, the photog was never alone in the water with the seals, somebody had to be filming him. :D

There also was no mention of the only creature in the world that scares the leopard seal, ... Orca.

Much the way the seal eats the penguins, the Orcas eat the seals.

Please don't think that just because one cute little female seal flirts with a photog that they are safe to swim with. The males can be very large and have little or no sense of humor.
I never got bit by a leopard seal but I had some close calls, and I saw what one seal did to several 18' Zodiacs at Palmer station and would not want to take a chance.

Is it safer to dive with a Leopard Seal or an Orca?

To Orca I'd think we would be the size of a meal. To a leopard seal, I'd guess we are more of jsut a menace.

I had seen a video of an Orca batting a seal what looked like 50' yards thru the air, never want to be subject to that!

The show was lacking in content. The context under which they viewed these animals was fairly narrow. I can only imagine how a males attitude would be during mating season.

Pipedope,
Any idea what prompted the seals you noted to attack?

"In violent waves of crimson blood, the penguin is devoured."

Melodrama, anybody?

GSmith once bubbled...
To Orca I'd think we would be the size of a meal. To a leopard seal, I'd guess we are more of jsut a menace.

I had seen a video of an Orca batting a seal what looked like 50' yards thru the air, never want to be subject to that!

The show was lacking in content. The context under which they viewed these animals was fairly narrow. I can only imagine how a males attitude would be during mating season.

Pipedope,
Any idea what prompted the seals you noted to attack?

I was hoping that the ORCA was smart enough to not consider us a meal, while the seal probably has the intelligence of a dog...which it its like my dog, is about as smart as mud.

Rumor has it that there has NEVER been an attack on a human by an ORCA....maybe an urban legend.

Back
Top Bottom