Patima Smart 2 Video Housing for xr500/520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cofn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

New-ish to the forum, been reading a lot here and there, but never posted thus far.

I have recently picked up a new Sony XR500V to dive with on our trip this fall, and have been searching housing options.

I had it narrowed down to the Amphibico or the L&M Stingray HD +. That was until I found this today:

(Damn, can't post a link yet.... if you google the title of this thread you will find it 1st hit)

Has anyone heard of this housing.

The pics and price seem WAY too good to be true. Which makes me wary.

Has anyone had experience with this housing or anything by Patima? I can;t find much info on them yet, still searching, but this place seems like the only online retailer to carry them.

Thoughts?

My wife has the patima housing for the Canon G10 still camera. The quality is excellent, if the video casing is as good as there still camera casings it looks like a good buy for the price. Be warned thought patima casings are quite heavy.

That seems to be 99% of what i am finding, seems that PAtima is huge in the underwater photography side, and this seems to me to be the first endeavor into videography.

I am about 75% sold on them right now based on a few things I have read, and they seems like really solid cases, heavy yes, but very well made. Especially when compared to the competition.

The bloody thing is machined our of a solid aluminum block. haha.

Unless I start finding any really negative things about Patima, I think this will be the case I dive with in October.

I got a "used" housing from Patima when I was in Palau about 5 years ago (from the owner of the company). Technically it had been used for a week, they wanted to sell the housings for promotions after a week there, so it was pretty much brand new. I think I could pound nails in with the thing, with the C5050 camera in the housing, and not have a problem with the housing or camera. I accidentally dropped it once from about 5 feet up onto concrete with the camera inside, still worked fine. I've gone in through heavy surf in SoCal, no problems. If the camcorder housing is manufactured the same way as the camera housings, I think your only worry is user error. I pulled it out of mothballs after a two+ year hiatus for shooting pictures last week, again no problems. I would have no qualms getting a Patima housing for a camcorder if they were easier to find.

I would try to figure out a system to add some buoyancy to the housing. I too found my C5050 housing to be on the heavy side, and I'm in really good shape. After 3 dives last wednesday, I could feel some strain in my hands after holding it for the hour long dives. I'm guessing the camcorder housing is bigger and heavier.

Thanks so much for the info Nitrox.

I think I have made up my mind after what I have been reading about their camera cases.

I should be picking it up mid Aug if all goes as planned. I will give a review when I have it in hand.

Thanks gang

So I placed my order this morning for this housing, I will offer up some pics and impressions when it gets here.

On a side note, so far I am very pleased with Reef Photo and Video, placed my order around 10am, was shipped and tracked at just after noon with free shipping included. Very impressive.

I sadly will not have chance to put this case to a true test until we are i nthe Bahamas in October, but a pool or hottub boyancy test will definately be done before then.

Stay tuned!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom