Why, oh, why don't they teach better ear equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an MD who has worked all over the world, Sudafed is the brand name and pseudoephredine is the generic of Sudafed. Absolutely no difference. You can buy 12 hour tables and my buddy went from almost quitting diving, to being completely comfortable equalizing. Most is a matter of fluid behind the inner ear. you lose your equilibrium, and there always is some component of congestion that may not be noticeable. so yes, Sudafed )pseudoephridine, works like a charm.

As an MD who has worked all over the world, Sudafed is the brand name and pseudoephredine is the generic of Sudafed. Absolutely no difference. You can buy 12 hour tables and my buddy went from almost quitting diving, to being completely comfortable equalizing. Most is a matter of fluid behind the inner ear. you lose your equilibrium, and there always is some component of congestion that may not be noticeable. so yes, Sudafed )pseudoephridine, works like a charm.
Thanks Doc! :thumb:

The consumer's problem is Pseudoephedrine is that it can be challenging to find...
Since lawmakers deciding to take it off of OTC sales because criminal drug makers were using it to produce illegal drugs, it's now available in restricted amounts per consumer, and only from behind the counter sales with ID;

To make impulsve buying easier, Sudafed company introduced a new "Sudafed-brand" that is a different drug that many of us do not think works as well - it is not Pseudoephedrine;

The behind the counter brands have been reduced in choices and availability in some places, and over all the prices went up. Actifed brand her is Pseudoephedrine plus the antihistamine I pefer.​
Let the buyer beware! Check label for contents...!

I didn't mean to be rude about it, altho I am gruff I know. It helps to have correct spelling for searching info. :wink:

Trust me, no offense taken, I'm usually a spelling stickler too, but I tend to get all angried up when I get on a tear about stupid government repressive policies, never ask me about the TSA!

me ----->>>
attachment.php

Your thoughts and suffering are very appropriate for me. This past weekend I was on a dive trip to Palm Beach. Had lots of trouble with weighting issues. I had always worn a wet suit, but being from the NC Mountains found the water hot! (all my group members were freezing. What whimps, it was 79 degrees.) The difference with no wet suit was in the weighting.
Anyway, on third dive, had weighting right, till opened my BC pocket to extract camera, dove down to take picture, and accidently dumped six pounds of weight. Didn't pop up from 91", but didn't come up slow enough either
End result, bloody nose and serious congestion. Have been taking Afrin since then, but pharmacist said to stop as had been on it too many day.
Am here for the Month of July at Duke University and plan to call DAN, which is here on campus. If they can give help with your problem, give them a call and suggestions. If you're not a member, become one. Before I began certification, they gave me a 45 minute consultation over the phone, with more information than two years of Doctor visits!

Hope this helps.

Blood noses often indicate equalizing problems.
If you're not a member, become one.
I agree, except they will discuss your immediate needs in depth even if you are not.

Another excellent resource on equalization, by Eric Fattah, Canadian freediver, can be found at the link below. It covers the variety of techniques, and proceeds in small steps, with lots of tips and self-checks on how to make it work. It begins with the easiest techniques, and works up to to a mouthfill-Frenzel technique that freedivers can use to equalize when the air in their lungs is very compressed, so they don't have much to equalize with.

http://www.liquivision.ca/frenzel.doc

Also works great to counter the side effects of Dramimime(ie drowsiness)---a no brainer ie Dramimime and a Sudafed, great little preventative diving cocktail.....

Also works great to counter the side effects of Dramimime(ie drowsiness)---a no brainer ie Dramimime and a Sudafed, great little preventative diving cocktail.....
For some. Some are more sensitive than others. I have taken decongestants & antihistamines all my life, some of which were outlawed by the FDA, but none cause me any problems that I have noticed.

Others may have some problems so I don't suggest the OTC and BehindTC drugs universally, I do suggest reading up, and I do suggest trying them on an off day at home so they cannot interfere with other plans.

For some. Some are more sensitive than others. I have taken decongestants & antihistamines all my life, some of which were outlawed by the FDA, but none cause me any problems that I have noticed.

Others may have some problems so I don't suggest the OTC and BehindTC drugs universally, I do suggest reading up, and I do suggest trying them on an off day at home so they cannot interfere with other plans.

heading out on the Fling in about 8 hours---hope they still have all the whale sharks from a week ago tied up....lol

heading out on the Fling in about 8 hours---hope they still have all the whale sharks from a week ago tied up....lol
Hope you don't see any Lions, but it's only a matter of time. Have a great trip...!

Equalize like Chicago voters: Early & Often...! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom