Belize Legacy's dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mean the shop at the Belize Legacy Beach Resort on Ambergris Caye? We'll be there from 4-11 July 09 and will post a report. Earlier posts indicated that they were relatively new but on par with many other local operations.

The Name of the dive center is Suya tours. they are more of a tour center focusing on mainland trips. they do have a dive master who will take you to the reef. Usually they stay north and dive the area close to the resort.

Yes. Let us know what you find in July.

I would like to know how that single dive master works.

Thanks!

Billy is at Belizan Shores.

A brief trip report (July 4-12, 2009) on Belize Legacy Beach Resort (BLBR) and Suya Tours and Dive (STD, no pun intended): Trip thru Miami to Belize International was short and pleasant due to updgrade to Business class. Immigration and customs was easy, collected gear and checked in with Tropic Air for the brief flight to San Pedro Town (SPT). People friendly and helpful all the way. BLBR had a taxi and boat provide transfer to resort. We chose not to shop in town and depend on Mama Caribe's and beach bar for sustenance. We paid less in prepared meals than what our neighbors paid in groceries for themselves. Maybe they consumed more calories. Noticed that some vacationers had provisions delivered directly from supermarkets to their refrigerator/pantry at BLBR. That might save you money if you had a large family with you. Resort is on north coast shore about 8 mi N of SPT and isolated. Perfect for reading and relaxing on the beach/pool. BLBR runs two scheduled boats into SPT at 10 AM and 1 PM, last boat back is 6:30 (no cost). Island Ferry runs scheduled service at US$13 each way. Exchange rate is 1US$ to 2$Belize; either currency works almost everywhere. Units at BLBR are spacious, well -appointed and clean. Due to low water table, the shower, sink water is salty. Surprising, the office sold gal bottles of deionized RO water for drinking and cooking. In town, seems to have multiple systems: gray water for toilet and desalinated R0 water for drinking/cooking. Enough details about BLBR.

STD is unusual operation in my perspective. At BLBR it is not a full service dive shop; equipment, gas supply, etc is limited. There is another STD office/shop south of SPT which I did not visit. Dive boats have limited places for bottles and seem mainly geared for snorkelers. Exit was a seated backward entry from the gunnel, entry from movable ladder. We mostly dove from Mexico Rocks north and dove with STD only 2 trips; second one to make up for the first. Frankly, we were stunned by the size (width, depth, and length) of the individual reefs that make up this extensive reef system. The canyons were deep, 80-100 ft, but mostly devoid of reef fish and invertebrates. Many soft corals are healthy, but the hard corals have really taken a hit from several "bleaching" episodes as far back as the late 80s. Nurse sharks, turtles, morays, etc. were around but not plentiful. Nontheless, we enjoyed the reef, the magnitude is amazing. The dive operation is lacking experience and a firm grasp of best practices in my opinion. As an experienced divemaster offshore, I was really surprised by a number of practices. Now, I know we all have bad days, but there are somethings that should never, ever happen. 1) the DM held his computer in his hand, 2) the DM lost his computer, 3) on 2 dives, the DM never made any attempt to identify or point out interesting features, 4) on 1 dive, the DM ran out of air and had to share with another diver, and 5) the DM meandered and after 50 min or so, we were never near the mooring line and had to ascend, perform mid and safety stop, while the assistant drove in circles above us trying to anticipate where we might surface. Having participated in the rescue of two divers severely injured by a prop of a boat that ignored our surface flag, I was shaken at how many things could have gone badly wrong. The operators were friendly and helpful in exit and entry, but their knowledge of best practices were lacking. However, I was unable to talk with a manager and give my opinion. Others dives we did with Aqua Divers went very well and were professional. There are many dive operators and many choices to meet your particular diving skills and interests.

Final thoughts, spend some time in SPT if you can. Many good eating and drinking places. We liked Hidden Treasures, an excellent restaurant. If you want a inexpensive bed and breakfast in town near dive operations and the many bars and restaurants and the airstrip, checkout Changes in Latitudes. Belize and the Belizeans (many colors and many personalities) is a wonderful place (and judging by the number of American, Canadian, and European expatriates), a good place to live and dive.

We will return and will probably try STD again, just to find out if this was an anomaly. However, for the next trip to Belize, we will do a liveaboard and focus on Turneffe Islands and Glover's and Lighthouse reef

Have fun and enjoy! We liked Belize and the people of all walks.

Back
Top Bottom