Looking for dive sites in Poughkeepsie NY area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjacobydc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all

Does anyone have any dive sites they could recommend in the Poughkeepsie NY area. We have been to Minnewaska and are looking for something new.

Thanks!

To be really honest, there really isn't any other choice. Minnewaska vis is the worst I've seen since we have had all the rain. A couple of weeks ago we had < 10 ft. vis and the water was very cold. Surface was 65 and it go colder very quickly.

I suggest VT or Lake George for better fresh water luck or anything outside of LI Sound as the are down hill from all this cold rain.

Good Luck,

John

Without any other good options for a dive somewhere close, we went back to Minnewaska. You're right flea, the vis was pretty bad. On the up side we saw fish in the lake for the first time ever for me. It's been a while since I've been there, so I don't know when they arrived. That is a good sign. Other than that, it was cold, dark, cold, lots of particulate in the water, and did I mention that it was cold! I had 46 at the coldest, then we moved up into the warmer 54 degree water:wink:.
On a side note, there used to be a quarry in Kingston that I would dive every once in a while. Does anyone know where it is since I can't remember?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom