Trip help Cozumel or Fiji???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reason I go to Cozumel is because I can't afford to go to Fiji :D

Where do you stay in Fiji? Who do you dive with? Any time of year better than another to dive Fiji?

Yet another vote for Fiji

The only reason I went to Cozumel this year was because it was the closest place with diving. If distance, travel time and costs were no constraints, it would be Fiji everytime.

Fiji has a great variety of marine life, there are dives to suit all levels of experience. On land, there's lots to see and the land is beautiful.

I've never dived on Taveuni but that is supposed to have a great variety of corals.

Kadavu is a nice little island if you want to just dive (had some wonderful dives with manta rays on the Astrolabe Reef). I stayed at Matava which is a simple eco-resort with a dive shop- but that was a few years ago.

On the island of Vanua Levu, there are various dive sites - lots of sharks off the southern side of the island. I had a not too wonderful experience with a rather chaotic diveshop. Have a shop round. The ones with the fast boats will go to the more choice sites.

December to April may be the hurricane/rainy season (but check). You may hit a good patch - or a gale force storm - so it's really your luck with weather.

In my very limited experience I would strongly caution you NOT to go to Kadavu. I was just there in late May/early June and was extremely disappointed. The island has been illegally overfished and trash has been dumped resulting in damaged reefs and a virtual dearth of fish. Even when we made it over to the Astrolabe reef, we saw a few small mantas, but almost nothing else. I personally disliked the resort, though that was a totally different issue from the diving. I understand there is a lot of great diving in Fiji. It just isn't at Kadavu.

I have dove in both Cozumel and Fiji. In fact, I've been to Cozumel 4 times and the diving was great. The diving was much better before the hurricane. That said, Fiji wins hands down. After going to Fiji I think the difference between Fiji and the Caribbean is like diving in color (Fiji) versus diving in black and white (yes, this is an exaggeration but the Carib just doesn't have the color of Fiji). We stayed at the Beqa Lagoon Resort for 10 days and it was fantastic. The resort is very nice, the diving is excellent, and the food is incredible. You can click on my photos link to see some of my pics from Fiji. Here is a link of reviews of BLR from those that have stayed there: Beqa Lagoon Resort (Beqa Island, Fiji) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor. The resort also allows shore diving that is good but not like what you will see during the boat dives. I would definitely go during the dry season because the water viz is better. I would also schedule their shark dive trip. I have been on a lot of shark dives but the one in Beqa Lagoon was really good. Email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you have any questions.

Regards,

Bill

Greetings,

I have been to Beqa Lagoon 2 times, last in 2007--good operation & food, dove Tonga and have been to Cozumel a couple of times. Fiji is the prime location. If you go to Tonga, the northern most island Vavau is the only one I would recommend--potential to snorkel with whales in Aug usually. Haapi has diving, but is somewhat advanced--currents etc.

Regards

foothill79

I have been 6 or 7 times to Cozumel. The diving was better before the hurricane but I still like Cozumel and will be back again. I have been to Fiji once and am going back in 2 weeks. After weighing Fiji against other possible trips, it just came out to be Fiji. The diving is better, a lot more to see. Just an amazing spectacle of corals and fish. I dove the Rainbow Reef and Bligh Waters. The only diving that I have done that was comparable was Indonesia.

We just returned from Cozumel. While it is a nice place to visit and an OK place to dive, I prefer Fiji ten times over! We have stayed at Cousteau (great food and Namena diving), Vatulele (bad food,overpriced and too many mosquitoes), Maravu Plantation (I really loved our room up on a hill overlooking the ocean; dive with Jewel Bubble right across the street), and Matangi (very charming, attentive dive staff). But the absolute best thing that we have ever done was a week aboard the Nai'a. We are going back for two consecutive weeks next year. Can not wait.

Don't know if this helps, but will be in Fiji for two weeks in August and early Sept. Can give a short report when we return.

Back
Top Bottom