Mild aortic root dilation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seawave

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently had an echocardiogram, and found out that I have a "mild" dilation of the aortic root (4.0-4.1), probably from high blood pressure (which is now under control). The cardiologist told me not to lift heavy objects, but I did not ask him about diving. I have a stress test scheduled, and then will ask the doctor about diving, but I really don't want to give it up. Can anyone offer me some good news?

Your echocardiogram was probably at rest. You state that a stress test has now been scheduled. Is your stress test a combined stress-echocardiogram where they perform an echocardiogram at your peak of exercise? If not, you may want to ask your doctor for that combined test.

See a doc that understands diving. My current cardiologist is an avid diver. and signed me of for a condition that is benign. My first doc had me scared to death for years.

BTW, I told the doc that if he wouldn't ok diving, I wanted a note to my wife saying that I couldn't mow the lawn or shovel snow anymore. I believe that I would be far more likely to have the "big one" while doing those than while diving. :D He saw the logic.

Thanks for the advice. I was also thinking of getting some training in equalization techniques that do NOT use Valsalva, since that technique increases aortic pressure. My ears are difficult to clear (I have to hold my breath long enough to Valsalva, which clears the left ear, AND then quickly swallow to clear the right ear), so this may be a challenge.

Heart stuff is spooky and Doctors are leery about liability. We had a local doc cak out on a dive and another one have a MI at 65 feet (I was there for that one). The lesson I learned is if you are gonna have a heart attack do it with 10 or 15 EMTs, deputies and firemen hanging around!:wink:

As a cardiologist and an avid diver/instructor, there is NO reason to stop diving simply because of a very mild aortic root dilatation. With the caveat that I do not know your specific case, I would generally simply recommend routine follow-up echocardiograms to follow it. Diving is not an issue as long as you're not repeatedly lifting heavy tanks all day. You're not a tank sherpa on a technical diving boat with lots of doubles, are you? :)

Debersole,

Thanks. It is nice to know hat we have some adult supervision!

Actually I am wondering how long the dive agencies keep the records from classes (as far as the med releases). I have since had instructors hint that they have medical conditions that they don't disclose. When I took my OW class, I was honest and ended up having to obtain a clearance. These "hints" have me wondering what to do as far as my DIVCON.

It's never a good idea to conceal medical conditions. You should have no problem being "cleared" to do your Dive Con class.

It's never a good idea to conceal medical conditions. You should have no problem being "cleared" to do your Dive Con class.

I don't anticipate any and I guess I was a little shocked to here instructors (2 in this case) admit to failing to disclose on a trip they made to the Turks).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom