Post Guinness Event Report as I experienced it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As I write this, it's 10:30 in the morning and I just climbed out of bed recuperated from an awesome weekend. This weekend was one of those experiences that is just difficult to put into words; you had to be there to really understand what took place.

Had 100+ no-shows turned up on Sat., we would have missed breaking the record by less than 100 divers; however, several unofficial records were set: largest number of divers ever gathered on one location on the North American Continent and in the State of Ohio; largest number of divers submerged on one location in a quarry or any fresh water; and the largest "Marco Polo" game ever played.

I don't have the space here to tell you all the preparations Mike put into place for this event. I went to Gilboa on thursday night to drop off videos, and campers were already in place on the new farm that Mike purchased. The grounds were marked, porta potties in place and a very ample solid bridge was built connecting the campgrounds with the main quarry grounds. Lane lines were being set in the quarry for Sat. event. A huge tent for Sat.'s dinner and entertainment was in place with enough tables and chairs to accommodate all the quest. A secondary field next to the campgrounds was marked and ready to park all the cars. Once campers dropped off their gear, cars were parked in this adjacent lot. All looked pretty much ready to receive the inflow of hundreds of divers on Fri.

I got there 7:00 Fri. morning and got my campsite set up for the weekend. My job for Sat. was to be a guide to new divers to the quarry, mainly to keep them off the bottom. I guided a couple from Maryland on the first dive and another group of three on my second dive.--a really tough assignment.:eyebrow: By mid afternoon, the office was really getting busy with divers coming in to register, get their wrist bands, T-shirts and sign waivers. It was busy, but surely not chaotic. Jodi and 3-4 other girls were signing divers in. Jodi had the lines broken up alphabetically so people just got in the appropriate line; this made for a really smooth sign in.

By late afternoon, the campground was filling up. Campsites were marked with two campsites back to back with traffic lanes running between each row of these sites. We were cozy, but not crowded, at least by my standards. That evening, everybody there started to socialize and I met a lot of new friends. Ber Rabbit and friends showed up and we were able to have adjacent sites. I didn't get much sleep that night mainly because there was a group from Poland (yes, I said Poland) who partied until about 4:00 a.m. I had no idea what they were saying, but they sure sounded like they were having a great time.

The smell of bacon, eggs and pancakes permeated the air Sat. morning and divers were really starting to roll in for the event. The campgrounds were now almost filled with anything from RV's to Tents to people sleeping in their vans. Mike even had large generators rented for the RV's, about 3 or 4 and they really ran quiet.

The event was scheduled to start at 2:30 so after lunch, the shuttles starting running. We staked out a spot near the last entry point on Sat. night, and some even hauled their equipment down that night. It was an awesome sight watching flat bed trailers loaded with gear and divers being shuttled to the various entry points. It ran very smooth. Empty Flat bed trailers were dropped off in the campgrounds and left to sit until they were filled while other trailers full of equipment were shuttled over the bridge and to the quarry. The empty trailers were soon filled up and the 4-wheelers then swapped the empty one for the full one. This process was repeated until all gear and divers were at the assigned entry entry points.

Now we come to the amazing part. I heard many people say that this part of the event would be chaotic, a mess, dangerous, and that's why they were not going to participate. Some said that many divers would be in the water for up to 3 or 4 hrs. getting in, doing the event, and getting out. Get this---It took only 35 minutes to get 794 divers checked in and set in place in their various lanes. I was in the water for just 30 minutes before the event started. As far as safety, each lane had a "Lane Shepherd" whose job was to monitor divers in their lanes. Ber did a great job keeping an eye on our lane. She cruised the lane making sure each diver was "ok" while we were submerged. She even had to "herd" a few wanderers. Great Job Ber! While the last of the divers were getting in, we were having a party out in the water; beach balls started flying, and we played probably the largest Marco Polo game ever played. What a roaring sound it was when hundreds of divers responded with "Polo" after a few shouted "Marco". One of the funniest things happened right before we submerged; Mike asked if anybody felt uncomfortable. Someone shouted out "I gotta take a pee!" Everybody, including Mike, just totally cracked up. After a prayer for safety for everybody from Mike, he fired the shot gun as the signal to descend. Those that were topside said that the sound of 794 BC's purging air was an incredible sound. I didn't hear it, I was on my way down.

Our lane was just over the plane, so many just sat on the wings or hovered. 20 minutes went by in a flash and soon we surfaced and began to head back to our entry point to be officially checked out. From the time the first diver went in the water, including the 20 minute dive, and the last diver got out, the entire event took only 1 and 1/2 hrs. But more importantly, not body got hurt.

The same shuttle service that got everybody and their gear there, took everybody back to their campsites or parking lot. At about 6:00, Mike put out a great dinner for all at the main tent. Several serving lines cut down on any wait. We had BBC pork sandwiches, great homemade potato salad, green beans, lemon aid, and home made ice cream and cake and brownies for dessert. That evening, there was a DJ in the main tent for entertainment, however, most of the entertainment was in the campground. What a great evening of camaraderie with divers, old friends and new friends.

On Sun., morning, you could even attend church right on the grounds if you so desired, and some took advantage of that. At 10:00 the large gathering took place in the main tent for some recognitions, speeches, many give-a-ways, and a discussion on what's next. It was unanimously agreed on to stage the event next year at the same time, and before we left, over 50 people registered and paid for the next Guinness event. I wouldn't miss this for anything; We will break the record next year, and you all just need to be a part of it, if not for the record, just for the amazing weekend. For a first run, Mike and Jodi did just a tremendous job. Because of this year's experience, next year will be even better. I got much more than I ever expected for my $50 entry fee. In all of my 52 yrs. of diving, this weekend ranks right up there as one of my top 5 experiences. Let's hear from all who attended and get your side of the story.

Great report Barracuda2 - I posted mine in the Kentucky Piranha Patrol's section, since I'm hoping to drag some more divers from our great state up there!

I too had an amazing time - dragged my wife along, and after having been there and met all the great people in the diving community, told me on the way home that she now wants to get CERTIFIED!!!!!

I also want to commend Mike and Jodi - they did a great job, and you know, yeah, there were some glitches, but one thing you can't do is find find fault with their work ethic and their heart! They were there and visible the entire time -- they are a great asset to the diving community!

Last edited:
Add me to the list giving mega kudo's to Mike and Jodi, awesome event! I was hearing the same things about staying away due to the chaos, not even close. Being a first time event there can be some improvements and Mike/Jodi/all were taking notes to make next year even smoother. Cow chip bingo was a hit and needs to stay on the list along with the brownies and homemade ice cream. I even met Ber Rabbit out in the campground for the first time then had to watch everyone (except one I believe) at her table get a prize on Sunday. Unfortunately I didn't get to sign myself/wife/son/daughter up again for next year yet. Our Boy Scout troop is going to Philmont next year in July and I don't have the dates yet. If I'm not there it will definitely be four more on the list! Just an awesome awesome event with good comraderie!

While my original plan had been to arrive Friday and stay through Sunday, the rest of the universe conspired against that and I only made it up for Saturday and the dive itself.

I ran into Ken (Notso_Ken) checking in and Ber shortly after who told me to get in her lane #3. Perhaps it was busy when I wasn't around, but I never saw much of a line to get lane assignments. Everything seemed to go very smoothly all day. Not being able to dive before the event wasn't something I'd considered so my only dive ended up being the attempt itself.

Denny (Barracuda2) provided the hardware and software for hamburgers so I played the part of the cook before we headed over to the big tent for some of the site-made ice cream.

Ber and her co-sherpas were great. The slow divers were all assigned to dock 5 apparently as we waited for them to finish getting in and on their lanes. DOCK 6 RULZ! (That's why Mike and Jodi were on our dock, of course.)

The dive itself was uneventful (but that's mostly a good thing). The drop lines were terminated with half-bricks and all look pretty much the same so I marked ours with a double-ender. At one point another diver got a little too interested in it, but I set him straight. My only problem was not having brought shoes or sandals down to the gearing-up area (since I walked over in my dry suit). Luckily, I got a ride about half the way back on the short bus that was ferrying the people who tended to belong to the gear on the flatbeds.

I'm waiting to see some pictures, but I can't wait until next year. The date falls right in between two big swim meets for the kids, so I ought to be able to make it. I just hope targeting that weekend doesn't loose people to Independence Day plans.

It was great seeing everyone from GLWC and I think that we could definitely throw a semi-organized mini-M&G on top of the next attempt.

-Rob

now that they've gone through it once they'll have any bugs worked out by next year... I'll be much more likely to attend...

Greetings fellow GLWC and SB faithful! The event at Gilboa was all that has been said and more. I do not have adequate time to recount all of the incredible things but the biggest for me personally was the way 794 divers worked together as one community to achieve a safe dive! Were there glitches? Of coarse but everyone meet them head on and worked it out. The volunteers who were key to this event were incredible!
As a DMC I was amazed to watch individuals rise to the top of their game and take control. It was inspiring to say the least! For those with reservations please consider being a part of this event next year and be a part of the team to make it even better!
I found it to be a incredible opportunity to volunteer to be a part of something huge and non-diving volunteers made a huge contribution as well. Their assistance on the docks and in the other positions were vital to the success of this event!
I will post more later....got to go.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep training!

Glad to hear that the event went well. Personally, that's just too many divers in one place for me... but hey.. I avoid DUI Days too... lol... but seriously, I can't think of two people, Mike & Jody, that are more deserving of something like this going well for them!!

Glad to hear that folks were having a good time, and that it went off well. Mike is one heck of a dreamer about what he wants to do, and it's cool to hear stuff like this coming together for him.

...and no... we didn't dive somewhere else this weekend.. but rather spent a lot of miles cycling on the Little Miami Scenic Trail, including stopping on the trail and chatting with a couple from Project Tandem that were in the last leg of their 10 month, 11,000 mile cycling journey around the U.S.... there was just the four of us chatting, but that's my idea of a nice crowd! (They were also featured in the Feb 2009 issue of Adventure Cycling).

Again... Congrats to Gilboa on pulling off what is likely the first of many events!

Now... if I can just get Mike to include a couple of amenities at the quarry for cyclists that might be touring across the country... lol

I'm glad to see such positive reports of this event. A member of my dive club came back from it an gave an equally good review. Makes is sound like something even I might attend next year.

I've posted a few times about the glorious weekend on the other thread, but I just wanted to say I agree with Barracude2 on the whole event!

I'm looking forward to seeing other pics from the weekend, please post them if ya got them!

I did create a album here on Scubaboard, of my shots from the water. Just look at the Guiness Weekend book I created! OH, and I uploaded some SURFACE shots today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom