Seaquest pro qd+ how secure are the integrated weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have roughly 300 dives on my Pro-Qd and have never had any concern for the integrated weights not being secure. I really have to reef on them to get the pocket out so I am confident they are good and secure. Today they each carry 6 pounds but they used to carry 10 each.....I sitll have a little bit on a belt as well.

I've been diving a ProQD for going on a couple years now, 100+ dives, and no problems with the weight system (well, except for when the DIVER forgets to put them in AT ALL before jumping off the boat). :doh: :D

However, a piece of advice: After a Coz trip where one of the guys in our party nearly lost his weight pouch (different BC, diver didn't plug it in all the way), I did get a couple extra ProQD pouches from my LDS to keep in my dive bag. Because, unlike standard weight belts & weights, there's no guarantee a dive shop will carry a pouch specific to your BC, so it might be difficult to replace on a trip. Worth thinking about.

>*< Fritz

I have a Balance, which uses the same weight system as the QD. after around 20 dives, I've had no problems at all. I make sure that I hear the click, and then give them a tug just to make sure. My dive buddy also dives a Balance and he has around 60 dives on it without any problems either.

I like the weight system so much that in looking for a harness/wing setup, a big part of my decision on upgrading to an Apeks harness is because they have the same weight system available for it.

I've been diving the pro QD for over 4 years and have lost 2 pouches and gabbed another when it popped out. In the first case I did more of a belly flop instead giant stride.

I lost a pocket out of mine while diving, not sure were it came out or why. Could have been when I rolled off the boat or got caught on some or some of gear like by video camera tether. Maybe it did not lock all the way. Have also accidently released them a few times while gearing up or down. For this reason I would not use it while deco diving.

Just a counter-opinion to some of these here: I used a non-integrated US Divers BC and weight belt before and had the buckle come loose, losing the belt and all the weights in seconds. I have narrow hips and also had a problem with the belt sliding around and down. I swore then I would get an integrated weight system with my next purchase and have never looked back, very happy with my ProQD.

Either weight system can be lost, and given that weights are, well... heavy, it always behooves one to ensure whatever weight system you're using is very secure before jumping in. But if you accidentally lose your lead, with an integrated system you will most likely only lose one pocket, not all your ballast in one dump like with a belt.

I know the integrated vs. non-integrated weight thing is one of those never-ending debates here on SB like snorkel vs. no snorkel / splits vs. paddles / pony vs. ponyless / computer vs. tables / AI vs. non-AI / BC vs. BPW / integrated second vs. octo, and on and on and on... But both sides deserve to be heard and traditional weight belts just don't work for some of us (nor traditional tables, nor traditional fins, nor traditional SPG's, etc... I guess I'm just a non-traditional kind of guy).

>*< Fritz

Those weight pockets aren't going anywhere unless you want them too. I've never even heard of a problem with them, they are made well. I don't have the Pro Qd but I do have a balance, same weight pockets. They're solid so don't even worry about that happening.

I have an older model SeaQuest Pro-QD with the velcro release and have a couple of hundred hard-jetty dives on them and did have a accidental release on them and came to a solution. I have also seen the new ones with the snap release - I don't like them and have heard of the problems with them snapping open and releasing. So here is my experience.

I was diving the Red Sea - Elat/Israel a couple of years ago. Down about 70 ft and I saw this black thing laying on the floor, at the same the guide-divemaster (Zohar) saw it too. I quickly realized that it was my integrated velcro release weight laying down there. Being deep enough I was able to dump air and reach down to grab it.

When I was back in the States I quickly decided that I did not like the new snap releases, but then saw a ScubaPro. I added in a stap snap buckle to my velcro Pro-QD and it releases just like the new ScubaPro system. You reach down and pinch open the snap-buckle and then pull the velcro attached weight off.

Since this time of this improvement I've had at least a hundred dives on this BCD and have had no accidental releases (I've even added it onto my backup velcro release Pro-QD). I've also returned to dive in Israel a number of times and now Zohar (and boyfriend Adi) is an instructor and we dive together as friends when she's tired of the tourists.

PS If you are going to Israel and want to dive, pm me and I will refer you to Zohar and Ali.

I have about 120 dives on my Pro QD, and have not lost a weight pouch. Two of my dive buddies with velcro-type pouches have lost them crawling into a wreck or going down a hatch. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom