Morehead City VS Cape Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking where to go for my next dive. If any one would be kind enough to give a comparison of diving experiences in these two areas, Id be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

The diving in either place will be 1st class & actually some of the sites are hit from both places.
Morehead City will give you more choices (& seats on boats).
You have at least 5 ops to chose from while Hatteras will only have 3.
I prefer the smaller ops & in Hatteras I use Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site a 6pack who generally charters the whole boat out, but sometimes has open spots to fill. He also allows you to stay on the boat the night before you dive so no hotel needed.
In Morehead the 6-pack I prefer is Ken & tortugacharters.net Dive Tortuga he may also have spots open.
Both allow you way more leeway on which sites you hit & when you leave the dock.
I am sure plenty of people will recommend Olympus,& Discovery, & Atlantic Beach diving in Morehead & they are all great operations, Hatteras also will have Outer Banks Diving all have big boats that will run 20+ divers.
I like Hatteras, but do dive Morehead & Wilmington also, Aquatic Safaris, North Carolina Wreck Diving is who I dive with there.

Morehead City/Beaufort with Discovery Diving on any of the boats.

We went to Cape Hatteras 3 weeks ago. We dove the Dixie Arrow---the best wreck I have ever dove--so I can highly recommend diving out of Cape Hatteras. We dove with Outer Banks Dving--and I would never recommend them to anyone. I have been a diver for 14 years and they were the worst dive operation I have ever used!! Hope this helps.

Both offer outstanding dives and good charter operations. I have a slight preference for the Morehead City area. Mostly because I bring the dive club when I go and we need the boats and accomodations that are found in Morehead/Beaufort.

We went to Cape Hatteras 3 weeks ago. We dove the Dixie Arrow---the best wreck I have ever dove--so I can highly recommend diving out of Cape Hatteras. We dove with Outer Banks Dving--and I would never recommend them to anyone. I have been a diver for 14 years and they were the worst dive operation I have ever used!! Hope this helps.

While the Dixie Arrow is a fine wreck, it is not the best the area has to offer.
As far as dive ops, unfortunately Johnny & Amy seem to be backsliding, they used to offer a nice op that ran good trips. I haven't dove with them in 2 years, mainly do to the fact I dive with JT now.
Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site
There is another op running down there now on a somewhat limited schedule, but I have heard they do a good job.
DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Back
Top Bottom