Cannabis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of trolls on SB lately...

Where was I? Oh yes, unless I am much mistaken, there was a study on the increased effects of narcosis resulting from cannabis use (although not actually diving under the influence of cannabis, fun thought that sounds). See footnote 20 in this article, which discussing the residual effects of cannabis in your system after 24 hours: Nitrogen narcosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record, I haven't smoked or drank for over 25 years. But I find it fascinating that the op got hammered for the question. How many divers do a fair amount of drinking the night prior to a dive? To pound cannabis users is hypocritical to me.

I do not really thing that you should be bring such a stupid post to this forum! If you to smoke pot and dive have you ever thought of the danger you could cause to other divers! Grow up and do something sensible with your life, smoking pot sure is not a good thing to advertise as there are police divers who log onto this site!

How come there is not a "No Thanks" button?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, I haven't smoked or drank for over 25 years. But I find it fascinating that the op got hammered for the question. How many divers do a fair amount of drinking the night prior to a dive? To pound cannabis users is hypocritical to me.

I agree. I'm absolutely amazed at how much drinking some divers do, and am especially worried about the instructors and DMs who go out and get pretty wasted the night before professional duties.

I have nothing against moderate drinking (or pot use), but I don't think it mixes well with certain activities including diving. Since I'm diving a lot of the time, I find it best to avoid both.

The real problem is the bag of Cheetos gets wet when you munch on them while diving.
Only Sea Kittens should toke up before a dive.
animated_cat.gif

Last edited:
I agree. I'm absolutely amazed at how much drinking some divers do, and am especially worried about the instructors and DMs who go out and get pretty wasted the night before professional duties.

One of my instructors said that she has only ever seen two people get bent. Both times, they got hammered the night before, and went diving the next day whilst severely dehydrated.

As someone who gave up smoking some years ago for employment (my employer regularly tested employees....mining) it took six weeks for a negative result using urine. If the hair is tested, it can take up to two years for a negative result.

I remember years ago being told by a doctor that because the excess THC was stored in the fat cells, that people that go on diets or without meals often feel a mildly stoned effect from the body using up the fat cells. This would mean in theory someone could go for a dive and if they have not eaten before the dive get stoned.

One of my instructors said that she has only ever seen two people get bent. Both times, they got hammered the night before, and went diving the next day whilst severely dehydrated.

I've seen at least two examples of that myself and they were both younger guys in better shape than I am. That's one reason I avoid drinking at all the night before diving and would never consider using pot.

The real problem is the bag of Cheetos gets wet when you munch on them while diving.
Only Sea Kittens should toke up before a dive.
animated_cat.gif
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Almost everyone has their vices and addictions but I always wonder what makes people want to indulge in mind-altering and reaction-inhibiting substances and then complicate adventurous sports like scuba and sky diving where poor or delayed decisions could lead to death.

Don't get me wrong, I have used illegal drugs (with LSD as my drug of choice) and drank my share of alcoholic beverages but these are when I was younger and could claim stupidity as a consequence of youth. As I grew up, my tastes changed and for the most part my common sense improved. But more importantly, my activities and hobbies replaced my want and needs for illicit drugs. I never considered mixing the two and for good reason, and now considering the unpredictability of certain drugs or the known effects of others, it's a no-brainer! YMMV.

And finally, to me drug use and diving is similar to using air fills for deep diving. Sure you may get practice and you may think you can function better with repeated exposures, and you may be an awesome diver sober, drunk, stoned, or narc'd. But what you can't predict is what would you do in an emergency and how you would react (or if you even would). Personally, I wouldn't want a buddy like that. Again, YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom