Which extension for a sigma 105 on a OLY-housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jan10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to buy the sigma 105mm for my E410. I decided not to wait anymore for the oly-version.
Has anybody an idea (or has the same configuration) what extension I would need for my Olympus housing and Inon macroport I use now. I would guess the PER-E02 (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_PER-E02.htm) ?
thks in advance
Jan

Last edited:
Can't answer your question, but I have also considered the Sigma. What put me off is that I have been told that there is a switch on the lens to change from AF to MF - so you need to make that descision before closing the housing. No switching focusing modes underwater.

thks andy
it took me also a long time to decide. If you look into diffferent sites, what people are most of the time complaining about, is the autofocus which seems to be very slow. But the pictures you see are magnificent, and then with a diopter on top of it (inon or reefnet) you have supermacro... Although I can not complain about my 50mm + inon diopter (which you have also) i have good results to,but according to my feeling, not 'macro' enough. With the 105 you can stay a little bit further way from the object.
jan

Can't answer your question, but I have also considered the Sigma. What put me off is that I have been told that there is a switch on the lens to change from AF to MF - so you need to make that descision before closing the housing. No switching focusing modes underwater.

I don't know anything about the port/housing since I'm using Ikelite's system, but I think I might be able to provide some perspective with the focus issue. I've been using the Sigma 105 for quite some time both on land and under water. Underwater, FORGET the Autofocus. You have to realize that looking through this lens is like looking through binoculars. On land, I don't even bother using it unless I have a tripod in most cases. If there is even the slightest bit of surge or current, you can safely leave this lens on the boat. Trust me, no fun. You will spend 90 percent of the time struggling with your subject bouncing in and out of the viewfinder, all the while the AF will be whirring back and forth, hunting for a sharp picture. Add to this that the AF of this lens is so painfully slow you will find it annoying on land, but it'll make you vomit underwater. It will hunt back and forth and by the time it finally focuses on the detail YOU want it to focus on, even the slowest nudibranch will have crawled out of the frame. For these reasons, if conditions are anything but 100% optimal, I will take the Zuiko 50mm Macro lens instead, with an add-on wetlens. Loads of fun, and the autofocus is much better, too. That said, you will get very good results with the Sigma on manual focus. Remember, most likely you will adjust the focus only a few times during a dive and obtain the fine tuning in focus simply by moving the housing back and forth. Because of the high power of this lens, only very slight movements forward or backward are required. Since you'll be shooting very small apertures most if not all the time, your depth of field is usually pretty good. If you add the add-on lens, you end up with an imaging system so powerful you can shoot the most amazing super-closeups. It is capable of capturing images that others only dream of. So, if you want this lens, don't let the inaccessibility of the AF/MF switch keep you from buying it. When it comes to craftsmanship and image quality, this lens is pure joy.

Thanks AbyssalPlains - I do agree with what you are saying. The slow AF is another factor that has kept me from getting the Sigma. That and I have read several reports of front or back focusing issues with some of the Sigmas with the E-3. Some folk have returned the lens several times till they got adecent working copy or sent the lens and camera in for calibration - not an option for me. Not saying the Sigma is a bad lens, I have seen enouh topside macro stuff to convince me of it's great optical qualities.

Having said all of the above. if Oly don't step up to the plate with the mythical 100mm sometime this year, you may well see the Sigma in my signature line up !

Jan - an option I have been considering is to buy the 2x TC and Athena extension to use with the 50mm, but haven't done any price comparisons.

Hi Jan,

I have used the Olympus 50 mm macro on the E-410, E-510, E-520, E-3 and I am now testing the new E-620/PT-E06 combo and these are my thoughts.

When the Sigma 105 macro first came out I was put off by the fact that you could not shift from Af to manual while the lens is in a housing. Then I continued to hear the reports of poor AF speeds which are amplified by low light conditions found in many U/W settings. Athena makes the best port for this lens and I am not sure if it will fit into your Inon port.

Olympus has had the 100 mm macro on the "road map" for over four years now, before the Sigma was released. It is now the "ONLY" lens left on the 2009 road map which has not been released so perhaps it may at last come by years end.

I have used the following combos with excellent results, 50 & 35 plus the 1.4 tele converter using the Athena posts for these lenses and the Athena 1.4 extension ring.
I also use the Inon M-165 diopter. The same combos can be used with the 50 macro and your Inon port. I like the Inon port because you only need one gear for manual focus with any of the lens combos.

I also use the 50 & 35 macros with the 2 X tele converter and the Athena extension ring. The 35 has a hard time in AF because it becomes about an F/7 lens. The 50 however will AF quite well in average light. With the M-165 you have about a 1.6/1 or 3.2/1 in 35 mm terms ratio. This allows for some very small critters and requires a bit of practice. I did a three hour dive at the Blue Herion Bridge yesterday with the 50/ 2 x tele combo plus diopter combo and was able to get off over 240 images.

My understanding is that the fine ReefNet Co. +10 diopter is being released in a 67 mm thread which would take the 50 mm from 1:2 to 1:1 or twice life size in 35 mm terms. The ReefNet lens will be the most cost effective way to get the 50 to 1:1 but will reduce the working distance. The 1.4 & 2 X tele converters add working distance.

The combo I use most is the 50 macro & 1.4 tele with the M-165.

Photo #1-50 mm macro with 2 X tele converter at 1:2 (lens fully extended)

Photo #2-50 mm macro with 2 X tele converter at 1:2 (lens fully extended) Inon M-165 C/U lens.

Photo #3-35 mm macro, crab in glass tube.
Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

Attachments

• -7240960.jpg
    -7240960.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 36
  • -7240999.jpg
    -7240999.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 34
  • -7170604.jpg
    -7170604.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
thank you all guys, all great feed back. It makes changing my mind. I will go for the teleconvertor.
I heard also of this reefnet magnifier and contacted them a few days ago. They are producing a new even better quality magnifier, +10 at a price - if you order 'asap' - of 75 $, which is very costeffective ! and indeed it fits with this 67mm tread on my inon port. I think I also go for this one, and then wait for the oly-100mm.
jan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom