Oakville Wreck Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob, if you're saying that you were banned from Ontario Diving, you either don't know how to use your account or simply stating a lie.
I checked your account and it's in good standing:
R Shannon, Join Date: 05-20-2009, Total Posts: 0
You can always log on and state your side of the story.

Rob- There is no issue with your Ontario Diving account, if you need a password re-issued, please contact me.

The only reason you may have been given a time out in the past is if you were posting in a manner thats abusive or offensive to other members, or if you had been using OD for advertizing without participating in discussions which is also not allowed.

We do however, welcome both sides of any story and encourage fair and open discussion between parties.

Kevin Ripley
Administrator
ontariodiving.com

snip
How does it work elsewhere when dive boats happen to be on the same site do they share ???
snip

In Kingston or the St. Lawrence charters I frequent, the operator contacts the moored boat on channel 16, switches to another channel then they disccuss if there are divers in water, how long they will be, who can tag off whom, etc. then the unmoored boat stands off until the other boat is finished, or they work together and raft or tag up.

Did anyone contact the moored boat via radio this time?

In Kingston or the St. Lawrence charters I frequent, the operator contacts the moored boat on channel 16, switches to another channel then they disccuss if there are divers in water, how long they will be, who can tag off whom, etc. then the unmoored boat stands off until the other boat is finished, or they work together and raft or tag up.

That is the correct way of doing things.

A collision is a collision and if the powered vessel drifted into the moored vessel that shows a lack of seamanship and concern for the moored vessel.

Overall, both sides, the Shannon boat is at fault as it was under power and maneuverable, the zodiac was not.

I would suggest a review of the Canada Shipping Act Collision regulations as well as the private mooring regulations:

Is it a proper mooring, do you have Federal permission/Coast guard permission to have it there, is there a notice to shipping? Is the mooring labled to allow vessels to contact the owner on a specific radio frequency etc etc.... If not it is like parking in front of someones house. They may think they own the boulavard, but they don't

I'll discuss the incident with Ship Safety to see what is suggested....................

The same procedure is applied on the Tobermory charters I've used, and on Florida and Hawaiian charters I've been on.

I am really annoyed at all the "experts" quoting regulations and condemning what happened when they were not there. I was on board when the "incident" occurred. I was actually there. I didn't hear about it from a friend, or read about it on line. I was at the back of the boat gearing up for my first dive of the day. I did not even know any thing happened. I did not see anything done wrong, the boat didn't rock or sway, and I didn't hear any panicked yelling or screaming. I will say this. If I was on a boat that was hit by another, or if I was in the water, or my wife was in the water, any person with ears within 500 metres would know about it. I would be yelling, and screaming profanities at the offending boat. A fuss would be made. I did not hear anything from the other boat or its full load of divers even when, about an hour later that same boat returned for another dive and Rob helped them tie up to the mooring point along side us. There were no harsh words exchanged and the people on board appeared happy. This incident is being blown way out of proportion by people with what appers to be some sort of agenda or vendetta. Perhaps people should have first hand knowledge before they start spouting off about charges laid or calling other posters a liar. Internet posting brings out a lot of bravery when people have the luxury of anonymity.

As a relatively new diver I am always on the lookout for new and interesting dive organizations to dive with. I'd like to know who the dive charters are who are posting, and if any of these are the dive charter involved, didn't attempt of protect their divers in the water, so I can be sure not to go with them in the future if this is in fact what happened.

Please lets be mature about this. We all want to enjoy the same water.

And by the way, Rob did have his radio on and monitoring ch 16.

I am really annoyed at all the "experts" quoting regulations and condemning what happened when they were not there. I was on board when the "incident" occurred. I was actually there. I didn't hear about it from a friend, or read about it on line.

Expert I am: 20 years, Canadian Coast Guard, Chief Engineering Officer

Based on Rob's description and the other description Rob was in the wrong. As an Engineer I tend to be very condicending when Nav types screw up :D....its my nature.

Safety at sea is a big part of Charter and Dive operations that is often overlooked. Chances are the Zodiac would also be schat upon for lack of certain safety protocol, but that was not the incident.

The fact that you were busy with your gear and did not hear or see the incident really is of very little value, logically it is why police seldom take back seat passenger views of road accidents.

This is the responsible way of doing things

Sounds like the politics may have left the shop and made it out to the dive site. :shakehead:. That really is sad. I have never dove these sites but plan on it one day soon. My regular dive buddy has now dove with Rob and I will go because of the experience he had. However my tolerance for nonsense is ONCE. I can only hope that the day that I give them a try, the politics are left off the water. I get on a dive boat for one of two reasons: To go have nice dives OR to get seasick. Pissing matches do not play into my diving anywhere.

As for ownership of a mooring.....check with a lawyer. Who cares what all the self proclaimed experts say on SubaBoard or OntarioDiving.....check with a lawyer. If a lawyer is willing to go to court to argue that it is in fact your property.....then that at least says they want your money. It is also likely more accurate than anything you will hear on either of these boards. If the lawyer says it is yours, ask how far you can go to protect your property. But, no matter what, when these fights start, neither side wins because people lose interest and go elsewhere. Make that decision for your business and live with the consequences.

As for ownership of a mooring.....check with a lawyer. Who cares what all the self proclaimed experts say on SubaBoard or OntarioDiving.....check with a lawyer.

Huh?

An Owner's Guide to Private Buoys(TP 14799) - Marine Safety Publications - Marine Safety - Transport Canada

If Rob is compliant with all these regulations and has an approved application then the mooring is legal and his. You will note that all SOS sites have proper PRIV mooring buoys and have approval for each one. Notice to shipping must be sent in. SOS is also required to maintain these buoys as well and there is a liability obligation so Insurance is a must.

As far as kicking a boater off your mooring you would have to alert authorities and then wait for the laugh. Ramming is not an option :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom