What to bring to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mentioned earlier that you were planning to work on your AOW. Underwater Navigation is one of the electives in the PADI AOW cirriculum that might be very useful to you. It'll not only teach you how to use a compass but navigate courses with various distances and turns that you might find very useful out in the murk. Always nice to be able to find your way back.

Navigation is actually a required dive for AOW - it's not an elective. Deep dive is the other required, all others are electives.

Gee, I just can't win fer losin' today! Either way - good course and could be a life saver.

I wasn't criticizing you - simply stating a correction of fact for anyone interested in the AOW course. Yes, it is a great course with an instructor that cares enough to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, it's a stepping stone to Rescue which is important for all divers IMO.

re: SMB and finger spool.

First, I would not recommend diving with a spool to a new diver. There's enough that needs your attention to begin with, without having to fool with deploying a buoyant device from depth without messing up your position in the water column or getting your line twisted around someone else's.

Second, I would recommend going with a small SMB so you'll have something to wave if you're bobbing at the surface.

I've gone several entire trips during which the only time the SMB and spool came out was for rinsing back at the hotel. On our most recent trip, I used it for over half our dives. The difference was that we were diving with a newly-certified nephew who had to surface well before we were LOA. In some cases we stayed at depth for over 20 minutes after everyone else had surfaced. Other times we've deployed have included in some unexpectedly rapid currents when our group ended up very spread out.

Most of the time we're right with the DM so don't need our own SMB.

. I've watched the DM's deploy them in the Philppines and would practice a couple of times here with it before I take. ....

It's definitely not as easy as it looks. Ask someone to teach you so you don't kill yourself!

Looking forward to the NAV course in AOW as well as the deep dive. Not sure which electives to take yet. I lived in Lake Tahoe for 6 years and did a lot of backpacking in the back country and got into orienterring.
Well I am going to get a compass, Suunto SK7, and slate, but will hold off on the SMB/spool.
My dive bag should be complete..........?
I'll be back diving in three weeks on a charter to Catalina with a great group of people from scubaboard.:goingdown:

:sblogo:

Get the SMB. If you surface and are separated, you can inflate it there and will help for you to be seen.

I've seen people w/o holding a fin above your head but if your fin is black or blue, noteasy to see especially if seas are at all up.

Having had the distinct non-pleasure of drifting around the ocean for the better part of an hour one time, I always carry either an SMB or a lift bag, or both. And a whistle.

Everything mentioned is good but if you pay attention to your DM and group you should be good. Just did Coz: underwater light(compact) , anti -itch creme, underwater camera! are great, I wish I had taken them. I never did see the biodegradable sunscreen in any store in Coz, Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres. Take sunscreen with you it is expensive there. And do not put in your carry on.
A few other things: don't change a lot of your US $$ to pesos. It does not benifit you too much. And it is very difficult to get US $ in MX. It is easier to get pesos from an ATM.
What I did was open a seperate checking account at my bank and put $$ into it so I had a seperate debit/ATM card to use. And when I needed to add more money I transferred it online. I did this because I have automatic deposit with paychecks and auto deduction for my bills and morgage. I just did not want any hassles with my primary checking account.

Back
Top Bottom