Do you think Nitrox is a deep diving gas?

Is nitrox with O2 greater than air a deep diving gas?

• Yes

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 244 79.0%
  • Are you Nitrox certified?

Votes: 150 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am Nitrox certified, but to be perfectly honest, I feel absolutley no difference one way or another diving with Nitrox or just plain air. Maybe if I dived more then multiple tanks in a day or a week, I would see the difference, but nada. It seems like a bit of a hassle, checking the mix and such and limiting the MOD. Eh.

I am Nitrox certified, but to be perfectly honest, I feel absolutley no difference one way or another diving with Nitrox or just plain air. Maybe if I dived more then multiple tanks in a day or a week, I would see the difference, but nada. It seems like a bit of a hassle, checking the mix and such and limiting the MOD. Eh.

Same. I'll use it when I'm doing multiple dives in a day but for the typical quarry dive or two, I use air. However, I feel less tired after using NITROX when doing those multiple dives. Even if it's placebo ( but I really think not ) I like thinking I'm less tired. :)

Before I knew that Nitrox was Nitrox, I only dove it when it would prove beneficial to my bottom time and NDL. For my typical 2 dive day once a week, there is no benefit so I dive air (plus my 2 HP 120's are air tanks and I do not have NITROX tanks). I know people that believe they feel better after diving Nitrox so I say good on them....dive it more and feel tired less :D. I have never experienced that effect so that is never a factor for me.

But now that I know Nitrox is Nitrox.....my plans might just have to change.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please keep this thread on-topic.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Personally I consider deep diving to be beyond recreational limits, however most divers look at deep diving as including the lower end of the recreational depths. Therefore for the right mixes (and MOD), nitrox can indeed be used for deep diving.

Thank you’ all for participating in this educational discussion. Scuba Board members are better informed than two thirds of the nitrox certified divers that were on our trip who seemed to think nitrox is primarily a recreational deep diving gas-

Before I knew that Nitrox was Nitrox, I only dove it when it would prove beneficial to my bottom time and NDL. For my typical 2 dive day once a week, there is no benefit so I dive air (plus my 2 HP 120's are air tanks and I do not have NITROX tanks). I know people that believe they feel better after diving Nitrox so I say good on them....dive it more and feel tired less :D. I have never experienced that effect so that is never a factor for me.

But now that I know Nitrox is Nitrox.....my plans might just have to change.

*** do you know about this anyway? :D

:idk:....only what I know and nothing more

*** do you know about this anyway? :D

I think this is not specific to SSI. My TDI nitrox course taught the same. Is there any agency that teaches that nitrox reduces narcosis?

Posted via Mobile Device

I just recently completed an ANDI course and the instructor was touting the reduction in narcosis because of the reduced amount of N2 in Nitrox. Possably he was misinformed, or does not realize the minimal reduction that would be felt. Nitrogen is nitrogen and will still cause a narcotic affect because it is present, I would think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom