still using a snorkel? or does it stay in the car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a folding snorkel and keep it in my BC pocket. Doesn't hurt to have one. I couldn't find a folding one with a purge valve.

I always have a folding snorkel in a pocket, just in case. On a boat recently somebody had their snorkel strapped onto their leg, like a knife.
Doesn't that make it hard to use?

Ken

I recall recently reading about a near incident where a shore diver was recounting a story where he was having trouble swimming back to shore as he was against some current, tiring, running out of air and had moments of panic.

To me this was a prime case where a snorkel would have allowed him the comfort required to relax and assess his situation instead of worrying about running out of air. I'm with Thal and others on this one, I use my snorkel on every dive.

Always on my mask when teaching.

I always have it aboard a boat. After sitting out a dive with a ear that wouldn't clear, it would have been much more fun snorkeling on the reef with a snorkel.

Some dives still merit a snorkel regardless. Long surface swims beat using air to look at plain sandy bottoms while transiting in and out.

Doesn't that make it hard to use?

Ken
No, you pull it out and push it up under your mask strap. That was SOP in the old days since the snorkel and double hose were a bit of a pain together and you always had a splint sized knife on your calf that was perfect to push the snorkel in next to.

Unless I plan to freedive or snorkel, it stays in a bin in my garage.

I use mine....when I snorkel or free dive.

Otherwise, I have no need for a snorkel. If I need air while I'm on the surface, I will have it in my tank....I plan my gas to have a healthy reserve.

Didnt hurt me yet. But then again, I didn't do much other than quarry and open water dives. So until I find a reason NOT to bring it, it's with me.

The whole snorkel argument reminds me of the problem that people have when faced with trying to drive a car with a straight cut I'm stupid. It's too loud for them, they don't know how to shift it, and they don't know that it delivers more power to the wheels.

The whole snorkel argument reminds me of the problem that people have when faced with trying to drive a car with a straight cut I'm stupid. It's too loud for them, they don't know how to shift it, and they don't know that it delivers more power to the wheels.

Other than being wrong, they haven't made straight cut gears for transmissions since the model T. (Except reverse gears of course:wink:)

You might be thinking of non-synchromesh transmissions that required double-clutching. But in any event, the power delivered to the rear axle was the same.

Snorkels don't give the diver any more power either....:)

Back
Top Bottom