Shark Week on Discovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But for many years, I am tired of the advertising being about the anatomy of a shark bite, etc. The number of negative prgrams outweighs the number of positives. With sharks being destroyed in ever increasing numbers, it's time for Discovery to change the way they represent the shark. BTW, Survivorman's SURVIVING SHARK episode last year was an out and out lie! I was on the boat last year with those that did the filming. Every "experiment" they used was rigged and of course was bogus information due to the fact that the only way the Tiger shark would react to them is if they were stuffed with fish. The more I learn, the more disgusted I get!

Carolyn:shark2:

I did send what I thought was a well-worded email regarding their programming, using the earlier poster's email as a springboard. Today, I got a reply from their viewer relations department. Their third paragraph showed promise:

We at Discovery Channel take seriously the plight of sharks around the
world. Each year we partner with Ocean Conservancy on a Public Service
Announcement about the state of sharks which airs throughout Shark Week.
We also dedicate a large portion of our website to shark conservation.
Please visit discovery.com/sharkweek for more information on this topic.

Unfortunately, below the signature line was this:

SHARK WEEK returns August 2 with six all-new shows. Kicking off the week: BLOOD IN THE WATER, a gripping two-hour drama that brings to life the true story that inspired Jaws. Check out the full schedule on discovery.com/sharkweek.

Sigh. I emailed them again, starting with "Your third paragraph notwithstanding, the line below, as well as your programming guide, make my point."

Thanks for your post. I got exactly the same blanket reply from my email to them as well.

Contact the companies that advertise. Not buying their products means no revenue, which turns into no advertising, which means no sponsors for the show.

This may be the first year I watch Shark Week since my friend Charles Ingram is hosting a show on great whites. Unfortunately I think it has the same theme of attack based on what Charles told me yesterday.

I'm surprised Discovery Channel hasn't come up with a Humboldt Squid Week after the appearances of this cephalopod off the West Coast this season. Oops, maybe I just gave them an idea.

This is the kind of cr*p the public loves. If they could only find a way to integrate a story about Michael Jackson and the GWS, or perhaps "octomom" and the Humboldt squid... hmmm.

This may be the first year I watch Shark Week since my friend Charles Ingram is hosting a show on great whites. Unfortunately I think it has the same theme of attack based on what Charles told me yesterday.

I'm surprised Discovery Channel hasn't come up with a Humboldt Squid Week after the appearances of this cephalopod off the West Coast this season. Oops, maybe I just gave them an idea.

This is the kind of cr*p the public loves. If they could only find a way to integrate a story about Michael Jackson and the GWS, or perhaps "octomom" and the Humboldt squid... hmmm.

Octomom does sort of look like a Humboldt squid.

FWIW, I think that any programing that allows people to get the point across that our oceans are imperiled is a good thing. I think getting people to realize that their food choices and other behaviors impact the oceans is a vital bit of education. If it takes shark week to open their eyes then I am okay with it.

Rob Stewart offered Sharkwater to be shown during Shark Week along with others who have done documentaries on the plight of sharks. Discovery was not interested. The advertising and programming does little to show that sharks are in trouble, rather that they are monsters lurking in the deep awaiting it's next human meal. The only way to stop it is to demand and educate both Discovery and the general population.

Rob Stewart offered Sharkwater to be shown during Shark Week along with others who have done documentaries on the plight of sharks. Discovery was not interested. The advertising and programming does little to show that sharks are in trouble, rather that they are monsters lurking in the deep awaiting it's next human meal. The only way to stop it is to demand and educate both Discovery and the general population.

Sorry, but I still think that you are overstating the problem. There are plenty of mentions that sharks, by an large, are not a threat. There will be a few sensational pieces, but most often the pieces do have a solid educational slant.

The bottom line is that Discovery channel is a business. No one wants to tune in to a week of being preached to. You have to entertain and take those opportunities to slip in the education.

Sounding like a bunch of strident animal righters is a failing technique. Presenting reasoned opinions about the need to address over fishing or finning is a better tactic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom