Key West Dive Operator Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone who provided information on both Key West and the Dry Tortugas. We are definitely doing the Vandenberg and we are looking at a snorkel trip to the Dry Tortugas for now. I am going to keep the liveaboard in mind for the future.

I personally would stay away from any operators that are "price gouging" for trips to the vandenberg. Dive Key West I falls into this category.

they charge an extra $20 to $30 bucks to dive the Vandenberg, a site that is about the same distance from port as the other sites.

this extra charge goes directly in their pocket, not to offset the cost of sinking the ship, which was paid for with taxpayer money. they appear to be just trying to profit and charge more for a new site that is not further of a ride.

Agree 100% - the VB is 7 miles from KW - and if the op does 2 dives on the VB, they don't burn any fuel going to the 2nd site - just a complete rip off to charge extra for this dive - BOYCOTT THE JERKS CHARGING EXTRA FOR A DIVES THATS SIMPLE TO FIND AND AS CLOSE AS ANY OTHER KW SITE - I don't get the surcharge other than to screw people. :shakehead:

Recommend the op we used; Lost Reef - was $55 for the trip, no surcharges, but we had all our own gear

I 2nd that Lost Reef is a great trip. $55 with own gear, DM's are all very helpful, V-berg is a fantastic dive. Someone earlier mentioned 45-50 for OW which is technically true to to the top, but the current can still be humming at that height, to get under it and see the cool stuff is more like 75-95.

Silent Divers are great avoid Ocean Diving in Key Largo they send you down to the Speigel Grove with less that 80 cubic feet of air and fail to tell you there is a shop close by that will rent you a larger bottle.

Agree 100% - the VB is 7 miles from KW - and if the op does 2 dives on the VB, they don't burn any fuel going to the 2nd site - just a complete rip off to charge extra for this dive - BOYCOTT THE JERKS CHARGING EXTRA FOR A DIVES THATS SIMPLE TO FIND AND AS CLOSE AS ANY OTHER KW SITE - I don't get the surcharge other than to screw people. :shakehead:

Recommend the op we used; Lost Reef - was $55 for the trip, no surcharges, but we had all our own gear

You must be referring to these guys: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wreck-diving/278070-vandenberg-reservations-now.html#post4432648

Last edited:
Are there any areas in the keys where you can enjoy some decent shore diving? Looking to go down next month and trying to decide whether to go all the way to the keys or just stop further north. Wife likes to snorkel, but is a non-diver.

If I want to dive in the Keys, where would I want to go? I have never been there and I am wondering if it would be worth checking out. I also need to know who to dive with and where to stay. I have no idea where to start. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

If I want to dive in the Keys, where would I want to go? I have never been there and I am wondering if it would be worth checking out. I also need to know who to dive with and where to stay. I have no idea where to start. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

stop 1
Key Largo
dive the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle, and Bibb
use Conch Republic or Florida Keys Dive Center

stop 2
Key West
dive the Vandenberg
I used Captain's Corner and was very happy. Opions very greatly on KW dive ops

Have Fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back