Key Largo dive trip report July 22-27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I traveled to Key Largo for our annual wreck and reef dive trip. Flew into Ft Lauderdale (US Air) July 22, picked up a rental car (AVIS), and headed to the Keys. Anyone who uses AVIS for car rental in Florida, use this AWD: K199060. It will get you a really great rate. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the super-low rate they quoted. 5 days car rental for $200 including taxes and fees. I had a coupon for $30 off on top of that! Stayed at the Tavernier Hotel, Key Largo Hotel, Tavernier Hotel, Key Largo Resort, Tavernier Inn; Place to stay in Islamorada Florida; luxury Resort, Inn, Upper Keys Lodging. They give a 10% diver discount. Room was clean and well furnished. Had a mini-fridge, microwave and cable TV. No coffee pot in room, but there is one in the lobby, which the owner set up the night before so we could start the pot first thing in the morning.

Reserved diving ahead of time with Conch Republic Divers. Got the current reduced rate plus the SB 10% discount. Gary and Brenda run a top-notch outfit, and we always feel welcome and at ease using them. Our 4 day dive schedule was, in order, Conch Wall and Dolphin, Alligator and Hens and Chickens, Spiegel Grove double-dip, Duane double-dip.

Visibility was reduced every day and at every site, compared to what we normally get. About 40-50 feet at best. The weather was perfect and seas had small swells. Currents were slight throughout the area and totally doable. Heaviest current was at Duane, but still ok. The flags flying at Spiegel Grove stood out very nicely with the currents, so I took photos of them. See my Keys album here on SB for shots. Wasn't lucky enough to see any large critters other than a giant grouper on Spiegel Grove, but life was abundant on all sites. Got about 200 photos total.

If you visit the upper keys, I highly recommend stopping at City Hall Cafe for some great food. 88511 Overseas Highway, Tavernier, ocean side. This place is a well-kept secret. The locals are keeping it to themselves! We had dinner there 4 straight nights. We'd have been there a fifth time but they're closed Sundays! We have been eating there for 4 years and it just keeps getting better and better. It's a small place, but don't let that fool you.

The Monroe County public library (MM 81.5) has 3 computers with internet connection if you don't want to lug your laptop with you. We went there to check email and look up things every day.

Visit my Florida Keys gallery on SB for some photos from this trip.

were you on the Spiegel double dip on Friday that turned into a Spiegel/Duanne trip?

Great trip report. Haven't made our annual trip to the keys but hope to get back next year.

were you on the Spiegel double dip on Friday that turned into a Spiegel/Duanne trip?

Nope, not us. We did SG x2 on Saturday, July 25, then Duane x2 July 26.

I'll be in Key Largo in a couple of weeks. What was the max. depth and bottom time for SG and Duane?

I'll be in Key Largo in a couple of weeks. What was the max. depth and bottom time for SG and Duane?

I dive using a conservative computer, so your times may be longer.
Double dip on each wreck.

Spiegel Grove
You'll reach the superstructure around 60 feet, sand around 120 feet.
Used AL80, EAN 32. Had max depth 96, BT 26 min. Then max depth 102, BT 28 min.

Duane
Used AL80, EAN 30. Max depth 104, 30 min. Then max depth 104, 37 min.
This was the last day of 4 consecutive dive days.
Came close to deco, so did deeper stop at 40 feet, then 15 feet stop.

Hi Michael31,

I have about 20 dives on the Duane and the same on the Spiegel Grove. I dive 80 cuft tanks, 32% nitrox while visiting. I get in about 40 min dive time on the Duane with a max depth of 100-110 ft and and avg depth of about 75 feet. I get in a slightly longer dive of about 45 min on the Spiegel with the same max depth but an avg depth of about 70 feet. The Duane is a bit flatter profile but I do try to spend some time in the crow's nest when the current allows. These are both really great dives, enjoy.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom