Shark Week on Discovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merxlin,

Have you actually viewed any of the shows?

Every one that I have seen has stressed that we are entering the sharks environment and that there are choices we can make to reduce the risk of an incident. They have stressed that shark attacks are extremely rare but that when they happen is is the product of the choices that the humans involved made.

Additionally they are touting an online petition to ban shark finning during each commercial break. I think that you would find that you have more in common with them than you think.

But for those who would rather wallow in their all knowing, contempt prior to investigation mode, be my guest.

Secondly, when have I spoken in favor of finning? You say it isn't personal but your attack sure seems that way.

I agree. Shows need to be interesting to get people to watch them. No one is going to watch a special on shark finning unless they know and care for the subject. In most shows so far they have said that attacks are rare, and most sharks, even the "dangerous" sharks, will not attack a human purposefully.

I have also seen the ad to stop shark finning more times than I can count.

I agree that the Deadly Waters show was bad, although I didn't watch it all(was too boring), it was the only show that showed them in a semi-bad light.

If you think that this is bad publicity, think again, its much better than not getting the word out at all. Shark Week has a larger viewer base than most Discovery shows, many of which who do not watch Discovery at all(no numbers, just from talking to people about shark week in the past).

Will people still fear and hate(or at least not care for) sharks after Shark Week? Of course. But guess what, their views haven't changed since before shark week. I have yet to see a program that showed sharks as savage killing machines that need to be killed before they take over our waters, thus I doubt anyone who had a love or support for sharks are going to change their mind.

Will people have their views of sharks changed, or will they now support stopping shark finning? Of course. And this will be a much bigger number than it would be if it was a documentary on shark finning because the viewer base of that show would be much smaller.

Stroud should maket a new flovor pop flaor of chumsicle!

Secondly, when have I spoken in favor of finning? You say it isn''t personal but your attack sure seems that way.

I didn't say you were in favor of finning. My point was that if it was something closer to you, would you feel the same way? Would you wait for a slow educational process, or hope that people changed their minds?

I agree. Shows need to be interesting to get people to watch them. No one is going to watch a special on shark finning unless they know and care for the subject. In most shows so far they have said that attacks are rare, and most sharks, even the "dangerous" sharks, will not attack a human purposefully.

I have seen the shows. I'll agree to disagree about how they portray sharks. I do agree that these blood and guts shows do bring in a larger audience. But DC could very easily interweave shows that are more educational between the "action" shows.

If shark attacks were major health and safety concern, then I'd agree that the public needs to be informed. But you know the statistics. It just isn't a viable concern. It is all Jaw's based sensationalism.

Every one that I have seen has stressed that we are entering the sharks environment and that there are choices we can make to reduce the risk of an incident. They have stressed that shark attacks are extremely rare but that when they happen is is the product of the choices that the humans involved made.

I think this is a stretch. The 5 most dangerous shark areas based on "unprovoked attacks" is exactly how one show was presented At no time did I feel that they were describing how we are in the sharks territory and the "attacks" were just nature taking its course. And really, does it matter? Sure they explain how the guy swimming at night splashing around looked like an injured fish to the shark, but does the dramatic lead in, and the subsequent story about the "phone book sized chuck of skin missing" or him "nearly bleeding to death" reduce the fear of sharks that this inflicts? It always boils down to how these people "cheated death" (or didn't). THAT is instilling fear, no matter how much you explain why it happens.

Will people still fear and hate(or at least not care for) sharks after Shark Week? Of course. But guess what, their views haven't changed since before shark week. I have yet to see a program that showed sharks as savage killing machines that need to be killed before they take over our waters, thus I doubt anyone who had a love or support for sharks are going to change their mind.

Will people have their views of sharks changed, or will they now support stopping shark finning? Of course. And this will be a much bigger number than it would be if it was a documentary on shark finning because the viewer base of that show would be much smaller.

I'm confused. You seem to contradict yourself.

Again, the idea is not that the shows "sharks as savage killing machines that need to be killed before they take over our waters", but they continue to dwell on shark attacks and the dangers. A commercial here or there does not counteract the effects of the previous 15 minutes of bites and injuries. It lessens the importance that sharks play in our ocean ecosystem, and it certainly does not help the impressions people have about them. It's those impressions that will determine whether or not individuals will try and do something about the sharks plight, or ignore the problem.

If at the end of the week, there are statements that the petitions have had an overwhelming response and huge numbers of new signatures in support of ending shark finning and overfishing, I will be the first to come back here and say you are right. I hope you are.

I'm going to throw my $.02 here. Shark Week sucks. At least the last few years.

I used to look forward to it. I would make sure that my nights were free that whole week.

Now, I really don't care. In fact, I opted to go out fishing on the opening night!

For years, it felt like there was much more about sharks. Now it feels as if more emphasis is spent on shark attacks.

If someone from Discovery Channel is cruising this forum, you're Shark Weeks suck. I've already sent you letter stating a similar distaste and general disappointment of Shark Week.

I have seen the shows. I'll agree to disagree about how they portray sharks. I do agree that these blood and guts shows do bring in a larger audience. But DC could very easily interweave shows that are more educational between the "action" shows.

If shark attacks were major health and safety concern, then I'd agree that the public needs to be informed. But you know the statistics. It just isn't a viable concern. It is all Jaw's based sensationalism.

I do agree, although I don't think a full show would keep peoples attention unless it was setup like whale wars, which I think people watch more because of the extremes the people goto, than whale conservation. I think they should put maybe like a 15 minute segment on exactly what is happening with shark finning, perhaps right before one of their big shows, this would be a great way to really get some people interested, but a 30 minute to 2 hour premier I think would be to much.

I think this is a stretch. The 5 most dangerous shark areas based on "unprovoked attacks" is exactly how one show was presented At no time did I feel that they were describing how we are in the sharks territory and the "attacks" were just nature taking its course. And really, does it matter? Sure they explain how the guy swimming at night splashing around looked like an injured fish to the shark, but does the dramatic lead in, and the subsequent story about the "phone book sized chuck of skin missing" or him "nearly bleeding to death" reduce the fear of sharks that this inflicts? It always boils down to how these people "cheated death" (or didn't). THAT is instilling fear, no matter how much you explain why it happens.

I said that that deadly waters show did put sharks in a bad light, I did not care for it. But blood in the water stressed the point many times that attacks are not normal shark behaviour. I can't remember how many times I heard this on that show.

Also on some of the filler shows it was said, sometimes by the victim of the attacks, that it was not normal behaviour, or sharks were doing what they were made to do, not that they were out to get humans.

I'm confused. You seem to contradict yourself.

Yeah, I worded that a little weird, what I meant to say is that I doubt because of these shows peoples views will go from supporting sharks to not supporting, but peoples views may go for unsupported to supportive. But some people will keep their outlook of sharks regardless of whatever they see on TV.

And I don't feel there needs to be an overwhelming amount of people to sign that for this week to be successful, any publicity against shark finning is a great thing, like I said before, with shark week you are reaching an audience that would not have any clue about shark finning, unless it was on the news(and what are the chances of that?). So any exposure to these people are good, even if its just a few, and I do hope that more than a few people will take notice.

And I don't feel there needs to be an overwhelming amount of people to sign that for this week to be successful, any publicity against shark finning is a great thing, like I said before, with shark week you are reaching an audience that would not have any clue about shark finning, unless it was on the news(and what are the chances of that?). So any exposure to these people are good, even if its just a few, and I do hope that more than a few people will take notice.

True, any is better than none. I just wish the attention could be gathered without the sensationalism. (Thats really what I was trying to say all along ).

True, any is better than none. I just wish the attention could be gathered without the sensationalism. (Thats really what I was trying to say all along ).

True, but then who would scare the tourists out of my beaches :D :sharkattack:

Was really interesting seeing Blood in the Water, amazing that it happened so close to me.

I'm really disappointed that "Sharkwater" is not included.
Rob Stewart did an excellent job with this documentary.
The plight of sharks really needs to be addressed and a
prime place for that would have been during "Shark Week".

bustedtees29154ea0c8160e53403232b2e.jpg

I live 6 miles from Yellowstone National Park. Most of the problems that people suffer there are brought on by their own dumbarsed choices. I view the shark issue the same way. I would hope that such a mindset would flourish anytimes somone goes into a wilderness experience be it on land or sea.

Recognition that you aren't hangin with Mr Limpet or Bambi is just being prudent. Living in fear of bear or shark attack is paranoid. That said. I do practice bear safety when in the booonies. or even my back yard (mama brought 3 cubs to dine from my apple trees the year before last).

I guess that I grew up with Marlon Perkins powerheading sharks on Wild Kingdom. I am far more of a conservationist that he was. My point is that getting people to think about the problem is a start. When you hear shark week stories around the watercooler or wherever, we can take the opportunity to provide BETTER info. We must be the teachers and adocates for wildlife.

But I must stress that I am for conservation, that is wise use of a resource based on the best available science; not preservation which is merely a unreasoned knee jerk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom