Are dive computers overkill for most recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cranking tables underwater is no fun. that is why i have a dive computer.

I have a friend who has a computer and violates the NDLs from time to time. For this he just says that it's not a problem the computer just tells him how much deco he has to do :) He has no clue about decompression and has no training. I do not see how he is safer having a computer.

So if you had a friend with a breathalyzer and he routinely ignored the readings after he drunk and then drove, would that also "prove" that the breathalyzer was useless?

You make no sense whatsoever.

I wouldnt dive without mine, one reason is thats my depth guage. Also I do mainly caves with ups and downs and to pull my deepest and add TBT Id be doing alot of unnessesary deco. The dive log is nice as well.

My goal is to have the maximum "safe" bottom time I can on each dive...a computer is very good at doing that...

I noticed some comments about being dependent on a computer... no more so than being dependent on a timer and a depth gauge... and some chart. Truth is, we are dependent on a lot of things when we go diving. I'm fine if a computer is one of them.

:lotsalove:
Casey...Your like the 3rd dude in as many days who while agreeing with your sentiment I've asked questions of and get some venomous statements?

Three of us? Is there a pattern developing here? Try phrasing your questions differently.

So if you had a friend with a breathalyzer and he routinely ignored the readings after he drunk and then drove, would that also "prove" that the breathalyzer was useless?

My point was that with a computer the dives are not safer. It's just a tool. I said nothing about ignoring the readings. If you look at my post closer I just said that he violated the NDLs and was getting into deco with no training in deco.

I think he does. From what I understand, he is saying that a computer is not 'safer' because it provides decompression information which enables muppets to exceed NDLs.

However, for non-technical trained divers, there is no decompression, only emergency decompression.

The fact that some retards might choose to deliberately exceed their no-stop limits, is hardly the detriment of the computer. People with that level of idiocy would probably be doing it anyway....at least the computer brings them up at a safe speed.

The arguement about the massive benefits of using a computer should have the provison that they are used in accordance with your training, qualification and in-line with the manufacturers instructions.

Otherwise, you are putting Darwin's Law to the test, and will inevitably lose.

warnings that you wouldnt come across just doing single tank dives because of nitrogen saturation and a tank not neccissarily providing you with enough air to reach critical limits on the first dive

What?

warnings that you wouldnt come across just doing single tank dives because of nitrogen saturation and a tank not neccissarily providing you with enough air to reach critical limits on the first dive

Can you please use a few commas and periods so that we could try and understand your gibberish? These are not text messages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom