Defog formula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the main "secret" is to brush the inside side of the glass with a toothbrush and toothpaste (white, not gel), until you really get tired. And then, brush more. At least 30 to 60 minutes for a new mask. Then rinse well (eventually soak it in water for 10-15 minutes, so all the toothpaste will disolve). If you brushed enough, if you put the mask (still wet from the rinsing) on your face and exhale on your nose, it should not get fogged. If it fogs, return to brushing. If you reach the status when the wet glass is not fogging, from that moment saliva will be enough.

If the mask gets greased on the inside, repeat the process. I think once at 3-4 years is enoug (at least for me).

Worked for me. In fact, when I bought it, it came with a small sticker, saying I should remove protective coating with a special solution, available for low low price of whatever. LDS told me that toothpaste works fine. They told me to use a finger, not a brush, until it squeeks.

After that, spitting and spreading it worked fine for me.

I use undiluted but has to be 'no more tears' just a drop and rub it in, I dont wash off.

saliva doesn't always work for me.

Some may find this hard to believe but hibiscus leaves are also excellent, the benefit is they can also be applied under the water. Just tear it and rub on. Don't worry about washing off.
The locals in PNG taught me this method, and it works.

Some may find this hard to believe but hibiscus leaves are also excellent, the benefit is they can also be applied under the water. Just tear it and rub on. Don't worry about washing off.
The locals in PNG taught me this method, and it works.

The kelp out here in CA also works, and can be applied underwater.

What's wrong with saliva? It's the best, always available in more than enough quantities (as long as you are well hydrated).

Nothing wrong with spit, except that baby shampoo works about ten times better. :wink:

I think the main "secret" is to brush the inside side of the glass with a toothbrush and toothpaste (white, not gel), until you really get tired. And then, brush more. At least 30 to 60 minutes for a new mask.
If the mask gets greased on the inside, repeat the process. I think once at 3-4 years is enoug (at least for me).

This method equals about 28 to 58 minutes of unnecessary work. Don't use a brush, use a cloth or your fingers instead, and you'll get the same result after scrubbing for a couple of minutes. Unless you are REALLY bored and/or into mindless, tiring activities, of course...

:D

And when you are done with your mask......spray the inside of your wetsuit with your mix of baby shampoo and water.....and it slips on sooo easily. FOOP!

And you even come out smelling nice after the dive.

This method equals about 28 to 58 minutes of unnecessary work. Don't use a brush, use a cloth or your fingers instead, and you'll get the same result after scrubbing for a couple of minutes. Unless you are REALLY bored and/or into mindless, tiring activities, of course...

:D

Well - maybe there's something wrong with my fingers :) but when not using the toothbrush, I have failed to clean it well enough. Also, about ~10 minutes of brushing proved to be not enough for the last mask that my buddy purchased, but after another 20 minutes, it came clean.

Ahhhh !!! The Kraken Spit . . . .

I use it full strength.

One drop per lens, smear it about with a finger, swirl some water around and you're ready to go.

the K

Ive had masks fog terribly using baby shampoo. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Not sure why, probably need to preclean it better. I do the toothpaste trick to all new masks. If it does fog while diving I let a little water in and I can slosh it around from time to time like a windshield wiper to clear it. Ill have to try Hibiscus leaves, we have them growing around the yard, but a long way from any kelp.

I think the main "secret" is to brush the inside side of the glass with a toothbrush and toothpaste (white, not gel), until you really get tired. And then, brush more. At least 30 to 60 minutes for a new mask. Then rinse well (eventually soak it in water for 10-15 minutes, so all the toothpaste will disolve). If you brushed enough, if you put the mask (still wet from the rinsing) on your face and exhale on your nose, it should not get fogged. If it fogs, return to brushing. If you reach the status when the wet glass is not fogging, from that moment saliva will be enough.

I use soft scrub with the same attention to detail.

I do use baby shampoo but I have recently had some fogging issues while teaching in the pool. The shop keeps its pool bath water warm so I tend to sweat my a$$ off when the air temp is warm and humid and the pool temp is in the high 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom