Unified Team Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What classes or agencies would fail you for being briefly 20 degrees out of trim in midwater? :shocked2:

GUE has a fairly rigid written standard which post-dates my courses with them, I don't know how rigid it is in practice nor the definition of brief. (If you are out of trim its hard to move laterally while staying at the same depth. plus it looks good :wink:)

Masks? Backup lights? Deco bottles? I can testify that at least two of those disappear in UTD classes, too . . .

Masks? Backup lights? Deco bottles? I can testify that at least two of those disappear in UTD classes, too . . .

I thought the OP was talking about the Fundamentals class?? In that class there is no Deco bottle, reserve light deployment and canister light are optional (rec versus tech pass) and the only time a mask is removed is when the student does it for the no mask swim. Is the UTD version of this class done differently?

I thought the OP was talking about the Fundamentals class?? In that class there is no Deco bottle, reserve light deployment and canister light are optional (rec versus tech pass) and the only time a mask is removed is when the student does it for the no mask swim. Is the UTD version of this class done differently?

Intro to Tech incorporates use of a deco bottle, Essentials does not.

Both courses are personal skills courses, which means there are no failures. All skills performed during the course are briefed before the dive. This includes the no mask swim, backup light deployment, etc.

They adhere to a DIR philosophy (like GUE), but seem to have a friendlier menu of courses for those of us not quite ready to take the plunge into Fundamentals. Their instructors seem to all have extensive experience. I have read a few course reports about Essentials (their equivalent of Fundies), and they were universally positive--it seems like most of the knowledge/skills of Fundies without the stress of worrying about passing and the frustration of having things removed from you without warning.

GUE Fundies doesn't involve removing things from you.

GUE Fundies doesn't involve removing things from you.

In fact, I specifically remember several questions on the Fundies instructor evaluation form that asked if the instructor removed gear from you or had you remove it yourself. It looked like it was there as a QC assessment/enforcement tool.

GUE has a fairly rigid written standard which post-dates my courses with them, I don't know how rigid it is in practice nor the definition of brief. (If you are out of trim its hard to move laterally while staying at the same depth. plus it looks good :wink:)

GUE is looking for default zero trim, and for not coming out of trim by more than 20 degrees when doing skills. You can come out of trim by more than that briefly to dump gas, to swim up, swim down, watch your buddy floating away to the surface and wave goodby to them, etc... What isn't acceptable is 20-degree default trim that becomes 40-degree default trim during valve drills and s-drills...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom