Brockville - need some info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning on going to the Brockville area with some friends next weekend (the 14th to the 16th). I've done a bit of searching for easy/beginner-friendly dive sites (we're all basically brand new divers) and came up with a bit of a list, which includes the Rothesay, Conestoga, the Prescott scuba park and a couple of others that I can't think of at the moment. Does anybody have any suggestions of other shore-accessible sites we should consider?

Also, since none of us have our own gear yet, other than basic personal gear, we'll need to rent. Any recommendations for a shop with good prices for 3 day rentals? My google search only came up with one shop, who as of yet have not responded to my email asking about it. :no:(their website gives a daily rate and a 2 day price) If we rent here and bring gear with us, would we have any problems bringing tanks in to a shop in late afternoon to be filled for the next day's diving? (being a new diver, I have no idea a) how long lds's generally take to fill tanks. b) if asking for fills for another shop's rental tanks is frowned upon; like saying "here's $15. I gave the other guy more")

Thanks in advance.

Those dive sites that you mentioned are all good for the new diver. If you can make it to Lock 21, it's a great dive too. When you do the Conestoga dive , if you have two cars, do a drift dive from the lock by Shanly Road as you end up by the Connie. For tank fills there is Dive Tech Training on Mallorytown Rd. west of Brockville. If you need any info on the sites you picked, PM me.

There's also Centeen Park in downtown Brockville, used as a training site by local dive shops.
I agree with DiveTech in Mallorytown, good shop.

Yup, agree with those sites except not sure about Lock 21. Haven't done Lock 21, but have heard it can be challenging.

Agree with going with Dive Tech - great shop, great service, great people. You can probably call them toll-free and make your arrangements. They are open quite late each day, so they can probably accommodate you within reason. When you see the candy shop that is their huge store and reasonable prices, you may end up owning a bit more gear. :wink: :D

Also would tend not to recommend Lock 21 for a group of entirely brand new beginner divers, and I do regularly dive there. Only about 55' deep, but consistently low vis and also high current, even more so where the old lock structures create funnels. Maybe if they were buddied with someone more experienced and also knowledgeable about the site. Quite a few local Advanced courses use it.

Where are you planning to stay? The travel distance between the Connie and Mallorytown is long. You may be better off renting your gear close to home so that you're not driving back and forth to dive, then drop off rental gear. You may also want to look into some of the charters that could take you to site like the Lilly and the Keystorm - both good dives for noobies.

I have dove Lock 21 many times (34) would advise against this dive for a novice diver especially this year with all the rain, visibility about 5ft to 8 ft and a stronger than usual current at approx 2 to 3 knots, would also suggest Brockville Centeen Park not a lot to see but great for practicing your skills.

I'm planning on going to the Brockville area with some friends next weekend (the 14th to the 16th). I've done a bit of searching for easy/beginner-friendly dive sites (we're all basically brand new divers) and came up with a bit of a list, which includes the Rothesay, Conestoga, the Prescott scuba park and a couple of others that I can't think of at the moment. Does anybody have any suggestions of other shore-accessible sites we should consider?

Also, since none of us have our own gear yet, other than basic personal gear, we'll need to rent. Any recommendations for a shop with good prices for 3 day rentals? My google search only came up with one shop, who as of yet have not responded to my email asking about it. :no:(their website gives a daily rate and a 2 day price) If we rent here and bring gear with us, would we have any problems bringing tanks in to a shop in late afternoon to be filled for the next day's diving? (being a new diver, I have no idea a) how long lds's generally take to fill tanks. b) if asking for fills for another shop's rental tanks is frowned upon; like saying "here's $15. I gave the other guy more")

Thanks in advance.

Oreo... I agree with the others, since you are a very new diver, maybe forget Lock 21 for now. When you get more experience, try it, it is a thrilling dive.

I cannot dive anymore (doctors orders) . If you are looking to buy some dive gear at a good price, send me a PM. I am selling all my gear.

Al

hey oreo,
let me know which site/sites you dove, and what you thought about them. A friend of mine and I are planning on something fairly soon.
Have a great dive
Nelia

..You may also want to look into some of the charters that could take you to site like the Lilly and the Keystorm - both good dives for noobies.

The Lillie and Keystorm are NOT good dives for noobies. They are both Advanced dives and can be challenging. The Keystorm is 110 feet deep and can have some current. The Lillie Parsons is 80 feet and can have a ripping current. The OP never mentioned Advanced certification and said they are "basically brand new divers". IMHO, those dives are not suitable for brand new divers. It would be better to get comfortable with skills, with each other and with the conditions, and then venture into those advanced dives a little later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom