If your regulator fell out of your mouth...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In reality, there are few situations when you could not quickly and stress-free retrieve your primary regulator using one of the methods taught during your OW course.

However, it is possible that there could be situations where you couldn't retrieve the dropped regulator immediately. For instance, when wreck diving and your regulator could become entangled in line/cables or trapped in pipes....or in strong current, where it could be pulled behind you. In those instances, having the presence of mind to utilise your own AAS as an interm measure whilst you retrieve your primary is a safe and effective response.

Many divers (myself included) opt to store their AAS in a bungee cord around their neck. This means that your AAS is never more than 2-3" from your mouth...which is a very comforting thought.

During my second or third confined water dive we had to remove our bc's and get back into them individually, in front of the instructor. No problem, I could do that. However as I was moving the bc from around in front of me to put back on, it knocked into my reg and snagged the mouthpiece off, so my next breath was water (which I was certain was not correct). My second breath was tasting wet too so I signaled the instructor I was thumbing the dive, looked overhead, rose slowly letting out bubbles all the way and kept a watch overhead for obstacles, with my arm extended over my head.

At the surface I looked at the instructor,who of course surfaced with me, and I was a bt pleased I had handled the situation so calmly. He looked at me with that sort of sideways look that instructors must all be trained to give and asked one simple but devestating question. "Why didn't you go for your alternate reg, what would you have done if you were deeper?"

I mention this because up to that point I somehow had the notion that the alternate was sacred, that it must be available for my buddy at all times. Duh--it's an alternate for me too, is what I learned from that experience. Since then I make it a point to occassionally grab it and use it uw, make sure it works, make sure I can grab it, get comfortable and confident that it is there for a reason and that I am a big part of that reason. While primary reg recovery needs to be practiced it also makes sense to remember it isn't your only option. Me, I found I needed to actually practice that to make it obvious--and to make it an important skill. // ww

If you dive enough, it's inevitable that your regulator, mask, or both will be knocked off your face, usually by another diver's fins.

I remember my thoughts the first time it happened to me: "Oh, cool! my reg just got knocked out! I know what to do!"

I like the way my OW instructor put it: "If you lose your reg, you have a minute to figure it out. [-]You can hold your breath for a minute.[/-] (Edit) You can handle a minute. That's a long time to get your primary back, or get your secondary, or get to your buddy."

Related tangent: there's a youtube video that's been posted before, where a woman is diving and her mouthpiece separates from her regulator. She eventually gets to her buddy, but the panic response is almost instant and it's a good example of what not to do. Anyone have the URL? I looked and couldn't find it.

Last edited:
I like the way my OW instructor put it: "If you lose your reg, you have a minute to figure it out. You can hold your breath for a minute. That's a long time to get your primary back, or get your secondary, or get to your buddy."

He said WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

I assume you were incorrectly paraphrasing him! :shocked2:

Having a bungeed AAS at your neck isn't just an optimum security measure for retrieving your primary, if released/knocked from your mouth. Other issues such as torn diaphram, displaced exhaust valve or loss of the mouthpiece (off the reg) mean that it is wise to self-rescue by having an immediately available AAS on your own rig.

What if you are exhaling and just about ready to inhale when your regulator somehow is knocked out of your mouth.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just grab your secondary regulator, which is right in front of you, attached, exactly where you know where it is and can see it, and then while breathing quickly get your regulator behind you?

I'm a new diver and the idea of the regulator behind me suddenly while I have to continue exhaling and trusting that I'm going to retrieve it in time has me nervous.

I know the answer is for me to continue practicing retrieving that regulator so that if I'm in the situation it won't make me nervous.

But still, I can't help wonder if grabbing the secondary regulator if I'm immediately in need of inhaling is a better idea than the normal protocol.

You're way over-thinking this problem. If you want to grab your octo then grab it. If you want fish out your primary from wherever it's gone to then do that. That being said, you should be able to hold your breath long enough to do an arm sweep and retrieve your reg no matter where you are in your breathing cycle.

Cheers.

I believe that, with the alternative being drowning, most people COULD hold their breath for a minute. I can do 45 seconds easily, without pre-hyperventilating. Now, that breath hold has to be with an open glottis . . .

My husband tells his OW students, when they are doing the regulator recovery skill, that it doesn't matter at all which regulator you come up with, as long as you find one. Once you have a regulator, if you don't have the one you want, you have tons of time to sort that out.

Personally, I'm in the backup-under-the-chin camp; that necklaced reg has saved my bacon several times, when I've fallen getting in or out of the water.

I believe that, with the alternative being drowning, most people COULD hold their breath for a minute.

That being said, you should be able to hold your breath long enough to do an arm sweep and retrieve your reg no matter where you are in your breathing cycle

I like the way my OW instructor put it: "If you lose your reg, you have a minute to figure it out. You can hold your breath for a minute. That's a long time to get your primary back, or get your secondary, or get to your buddy."

I'm having a pendatic afternoon.

We don't hold our breath underwater, do we ladies and gentlemen? :coffee:

I am having a pedantic evening myself.

I hold my breath underwater sometimes. In particular, when I am steadying myself before a photo. I do not hold my breath when ascending, however. Is that what you were getting at? :wink:

Can you explain what they do when they have no air in their lungs and no regulator in their mouths?

Do they all have gills????

Back
Top Bottom