Brockville - need some info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Lillie and Keystorm are NOT good dives for noobies. They are both Advanced dives and can be challenging. The Keystorm is 110 feet deep and can have some current. The Lillie Parsons is 80 feet and can have a ripping current. The OP never mentioned Advanced certification and said they are "basically brand new divers". IMHO, those dives are not suitable for brand new divers. It would be better to get comfortable with skills, with each other and with the conditions, and then venture into those advanced dives a little later.
The Lillie yes but the Keystorm starts at 25ft and goes to a depth of 115ft no not an advanced dive as long as they stay within their training and abilities maybe visit the wheel house around 30 to 40 ft deep.

The Rothesay and the Conestoga are both very good sites for brand new divers, nice little wrecks to explore, not too deep (30') so they should afford you some good bottom time.

Last sunday we went for a little quad dive day in Ontario (it's a long drive, gotta make it count). Did Lock 21 2x, went up to Brockville had our tanks filled and did the Rothesay and Conestoga on the way back. We had the tanks filled at Dive Adventure Centre (big bright painted house on water st), it took about 20 minutes, friendly staff.

About Lock 21, depending on how comfortable you are in the water Lock 21 may be a bit much, there's strong current and vis isn't that great. You could always just stay on the railing and lines (there's bunch of em on the site) but I find that half the fun of Lock 21 is doing the drift (the other half is going back up to do it again). Be aware the line at the bottom of the lock that is suppose to take you back to shore is hard to find (that or I just suck at finding things underwater).

The Connie and the Rothesay are very easy and you should have a great time, if you can try to do them at "off hours" (very early or later in the day) when there's no/less divers on the site, you'll see more fishes.

By the way... if you do the Conestoga and have only one car, you can do the "Connie-half-drift", get in the water on the other side (in the canal) and swim up until you reach the opening to the St-Lawrence river, take a left at the opening, there's going to be current but it's a nice ride, and keep close to the shore or you'll miss the boat if vis isn't good. If you get lost go up find the chimney and go there. The canal has some nice fishes (lots of Crapet-soleil/Lepomis gibbosus/Pumpkinseed) and plants you won't see on the other side.

The Lillie Parsons is 80 feet and can have a ripping current. The OP never mentioned Advanced certification and said they are "basically brand new divers". IMHO, those dives are not suitable for brand new divers. It would be better to get comfortable with skills, with each other and with the conditions, and then venture into those advanced dives a little later.

While I do agree with the general idea in your post - it's not for brand new divers - , last weekend I did the Lilly as a wall drift and never saw the wreck at all...nice and relaxing :wink:

Each to his own, I guess. We've taken countless new divers on the Keystorm. It starts in less than 30 feet of water and all of the bridge can be seen and explored in less than 40 feet.
If they are concerned about current, they should stay out of the St Lawrence River all together. They would be better off doing lake dives. There are lots of those around, too.

Each to his own, I guess. We've taken countless new divers on the Keystorm. It starts in less than 30 feet of water and all of the bridge can be seen and explored in less than 40 feet.
If they are concerned about current, they should stay out of the St Lawrence River all together. They would be better off doing lake dives. There are lots of those around, too.

Well let me see I like current when I am drifting with it but hate current if I have to swim against it waste of air IMO, does that mean I should stay out of the St Lawrence River? For example Cozumel lots of current there Tormentos Reef comes to mind but very enjoyable as you are drifting with the current.

Lock 21 is not advisable for newbies due to current ripping at times as most people swim against it go through the open gate and drift down the other side if they have enough air maybe repeat but exit at the weirs via the steps. But if you are doing the Lillie or Daryaw you spend most of your time drifting with the current much easier that Lock 21 IMO both these dives have different conditions but are in the same St Lawrence River.

As for lake dives often they have thermoclines some times more than one like the Munson for example which can take the unsuspecting diver completely by surprise most of the time requiring a drysuit.

Last edited:
While I do agree with the general idea in your post - it's not for brand new divers - , last weekend I did the Lilly as a wall drift and never saw the wreck at all...nice and relaxing :wink:

Shoredivr

It's too bad you missed the Lillie. We used to be allowed enter the water from Sparrow Island as there is a chain from shore to the wreck, but the municipality is disallowing all the traffic on Sparrow Island and you must now enter the water from a boat. It's easy to shoot past the Lillie and miss it. The up side down wreck is primarily at 40 - 50 ft depth but you can travel down the mast to 100 feet.

Did you happen to catch the yellow "exit line" at the end of your drift along the wall.

Al

Shoredivr

It's too bad you missed the Lillie. We used to be allowed enter the water from Sparrow Island as there is a chain from shore to the wreck, but the municipality is disallowing all the traffic on Sparrow Island and you must now enter the water from a boat. It's easy to shoot past the Lillie and miss it. The up side down wreck is primarily at 40 - 50 ft depth but you can travel down the mast to 100 feet.

Did you happen to catch the yellow "exit line" at the end of your drift along the wall.

Al

Hi Al: I was being tongue-in-cheek, we missed the Lillie on purpose since we were primarily focused on drifting. We surfaced at the east end of Stovin Island, the boat followed our lift bag shot at the end of the dive, nice long drift! Didn't find any bottles though.

I've done the Lillie on a number of occasions. She is worth the complete tour, down the river-side starboard railing, around the bow, then pulling yourself back on the port side against the current (using the shore-side chain that Save Our Shipwrecks installed to keep people from using the wreck herself to pull themselves along). Round the stern and back down the starboard side to drift off on the "Parson's Escape" as one diver guide author called it.

In fact, I'd rather be diving there now.....

Was just diving in Brockville this past weekend. Dove Lillie, Gaskin, Daryaw along with several
drifts including the Brockville wall (starting just east of town).

Dove these same wrecks last year along with the Muskie. All can be done safely by relatively
new divers if you understand the basics of diving in a stong current and you get a solid
pre-dive briefing from someone who really knows the site - Capt. Tom from Underwhere would
be a good choice.

I don't know how common it is in the area, but you might even check with Tom or the folks at
Divetech to hook up with DM for your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom