Mystery Fish from Utila Lower Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdiver1952

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was snorkeling yesterday in the channel that leads from the Deep Blue Resort to the Lower Lagoon in Utila. My goal was to add a checkered puffer to my R.E.E.F. life list which I got when I saw this fish. The ventral fins are long and flexible like floppy arms you can see one on the silt next to his body in the pic. Sorry the quality isn't better but the vis was about 3 feet at best. Depth about 2-3 feet. Brackish/mangrove lagoon habitat. Picture 024 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3530233479_d32d1dc012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, it's not a batfish. Swims doesn't walk. Matt and Steve were baffled too. Swin suggested it's locallly called a mudfish. We have mudfish in Texas but they don't have ventrals like that. The mystery continues.

Here's a digitally enhanced version of the pic by Steve Fox. Pale spots are more visible.
3543472644_ddb0c5d3b6.jpg

looks to be some sort of goby, but that is all I can get from that pic

There appears to be an isopod on its cheek.

I don't think so. There is one of those on either side. That's a fin. The pectoral (not the ventrals--sorry) fins are long and wavy like a butterfly koi.

Goby- Lophogobius, check out the crest, a dark male- they do get pretty big.

ben
coralreeffish.com

Thanks, Ben!

That is definitely a possibility--I'm planning a return trip with a slurp gun to capture a specimen and nail this one down.

Dr.Diver- I would be very interested in a DNA sample if you slurp it up. I am doing a genetics study of fishes on the MesoAmerican Barrier Reef system and I am being surprised that there is some separation between the Bay Islands and Belize. I am publishing the scientific description of the redcheek goby from Utila now and there are some other really interesting local species or subspecies that haven't been studied. E-mail me for info on your fish, ben at coralreeffish.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom