1 fish, 2 pics, ID please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caileon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
This fish was photographed in white hole Bonaire. It was a big fish atleast 2' long. Was thinking some type of grouper or gag. But the photo is that great.

Attachments

• 3765.JPG
    3765.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 3766.JPG
    3766.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 80
The photos aren't all that clear, but it looks like a Cubera Snapper. It's most certainly a snapper of some sort and not a grouper (A Gag is a particular type of grouper). Grouper have trianglar pupils.

...looks like a Cubera Snapper. It's most certainly a snapper ...
Yep, yep, agree with Walter.
Rick

Caileon, you should get this book, you'll love it. There is a smaller "pocket-sized" version available, too. The pocket sized ones are waterproof so you can take them on the boat or even underwater.

Amazon.com: Reef Fish Identification: Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas (9781878348302): Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach: Books

Or, get the whole set you can find other critters and corals:

Amazon.com: The Reef Set: Reef Fish, Reef Creature and Reef Coral (3 Volumes) (9781878348333): Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach: Books

I look forward to getting the set. I have just the pocket Fish ID book now.

Wow - the Fish ID book is available on DVD rom. I just found out. Wow.

Amazon.com: Reef Fish Identification: Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas - Interactive DVD Edition (9780968530078): ReefNet Inc.: Books

I have this one, too. Found it at a local store while diving in the Keys, it's very good but not as extensive as the other books:

Amazon.com: Snorkeling Guide to Marine Life: Florida Caribbean Bahamas (9781878348104): Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach: Books

I also have this one and like it. The pictures are color drawings, not photos, and sometimes that actually helps ID certain fish you might photograph, depending on their color and age and such:

Amazon.com: Waterproof Pocket Guide for Corals & Fishes: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:
Calleon -

Use the DVD for the Caribbean fishes if it's convenient for you and you plan to continue diving in those waters. It has search capabilities, sketches with ID keys in addition to photos + more photos than the books. (Though Pufferfish's recently posted juvenile Whitespotted Soapfish at Name that Critter doesn't appear in either.)

Many of the book photos are included as the DVD publisher, Reefnet, has a partnership with the book publisher. Only digital photos were used for the DVD's, so some of the old film photos that haven't been digitized are only found in the books -- not an issue.

For non-fish critters and corals, books are the best way to go for now.

And don't forget to show your pictures to local dive ops -- they're usually quite knowledgeable about what's in their waters.

Uno mas...If it's available to you at any point along the way, take a REEF Fish ID course.

Enjoy!
-Deb

Thanks again. I do own that book that you are talking about, but still am not a expert at IDing fish. I guess it comes with time. Many of the descriptions in the book are incomplete and do not describe the fish in various color states. I'll look into getting the DvD.

Caileon

Don't just look at the photos, read the book. Get other books as well. While I agree the Humann book is the best overall book, other books are excellent companions. Pick two or three fish on which to concentrate. Learn them, then add a few more.

Back
Top Bottom